I Was Very Very Busy Today

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by waretrop, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Barb, I'm hoping that you'll post us a tutorial on your kraut making because I want to try that myself..
    Hank

2. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Well, As you know kraut is a fermtation process and you don't usually actually can it.....this recipe goes right into a canning jar...just got 3 heads of cabbage. I will let you know...

I was beginning to think I only had a few reeders here. I wish more members would show an interest....

3. Tricilyn

Tricilyn New Seed

I am new to this site and just stumbled on your thread. I love that you can everything! We have a garden and raise rabbits and chickens. I have never canned the chickens or rabbits I always freeze them. Do you mind if I pick your brain from time to time on canning? I canned chili sauce and made mustard green pesto for the freezer this weekend. I don't can it because the jars don't seal with the oil in it. If I pressure can it ...then it cooks the greens. It freezes extremely well. I love canning and have really just started doing more of it this past year. We get an over abundance of figs each year so I make it many different ways. I was wondering about your lemon juice and if you sealed it in pressure cooker or boiled. Or at all? Also about the butter. Is this homemade butter? Or do you buy when its on sale and can it? Don't want to overburden you all at one time. lol. Thanks for your posts. I am learning new things!

Frank likes this.
  4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Henry Johnson, I had found this recipe for Kraut. It was funny so I thought I'd try it. Well, I must have been tired cause I didn't take note of where I found it. So 8 weeks go, I shredded cabbage. of course everything is sterile. I put a teaspoon pickling salt in bottom of quart jar, added cabbage and then another teaspoon salt on top. Add boiling distilled water and put lid on. It should be ready in 6 weeks. That was early January.

I am going to open it tonight. I have 4 jars. One has sealed, sort of and the other 3 are not. I say that because we know they are not really, 'sealed'.

It doesn't look exactly like kraut but I will let you know.

Of course you can plus there are others that may know answers also so start another topic and everyone will help.

I hot pack it and water bath it.

No, I got it on sale. I keep both in the freezer but only can unsalted butter. This is frowned upon by the canning experts. Go on You Tube and you will find someone that you can follow, if you choose to do it.

Advertisement