If I want to grow some vegetables or plants indoors, what problem do I need to solve most?

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by JeremyCh954, Jul 6, 2021.

1. JeremyCh954

JeremyCh954 New Seed

Ok, let me explain my situation first, because I prefer to eat salads, so I plan to arrange a small area indoors to grow vegetables, but I don't know anything about this, so what should I do? What am I trying to solve? Light? earth? water? Or something else?
    I also did a data search in this regard, and said that the most important thing is a grow light? Is it true? For regulatory reasons, I cannot post the link to that news article, so please give your opinion.

Sjoerd and S-H like this.
  2. Loading...

3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Very good question! :smt023

Yes it's correct, light is the number one, and for the most part, the only real issue you'll face.

You can try hydroponics also, there are commercial starter kits available. But I suggest you don't waste money on such things just yet - First just give it a try with ordinary soil, some plastic containers, and some growing light's.

I and other members over here will be glad to help you throughout this. I already started a thread here once, about growing lights. So I'll tag you in there right now.

Again, growing lights too are available in the markets, and online too - But I suggest you build them yourself, (if you know a bit of electronics and basic wiring).

There is no real problem that you're likely to face when trying this out. Only issue will be your electricity bill... Otherwise there is a 99% chance that you'll succeed. As well as enjoy the whole process.

JeremyCh954 and Logan like this.
  4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Forgot to mention, whenever growing anything indoors - 90% of the time you are likely to have less problems in comparison to growing things outside.

For starters, majority of the common garden pests won't bother you anymore - Plus you'll have almost complete immunity from unexpected weather changes too.

For example, if there is a hailstorm outside, your plants indoors won't get damaged. And if there is some torrential downpour, then here too, indoors your plants won't experience any flooding of the soil... And with sudden weather changes becoming more and more frequent each year globally - A sudden inflow of freezing cold weather during the night also wouldn't harm whatever you'll be growing indoors.

All you really need, are some strong growing lights. And be ready to see a little spike in your electricity bill. Otherwise you'll be solid, and might even be able to grow vegetables out of season too!

JeremyCh954 and Logan like this.
  5. JeremyCh954

JeremyCh954 New Seed

thank you so much, it's hard to see someone reply me.so do you also grow vegetables indoors?

S-H likes this.

Advertisement
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Tried doing it only as an experiment, wanted to see if I could do it, (as I'm interested in survival and doomsday prepping). It actually turned out to be a lot easier then I had imagined - But no, I don't grow anything indoors. I actually don't need to, as I already have plentiful blinding sunlight, (I wish I had less of it). With a summer which lasts for 8 to 9 months, plus lots of space outside to grow whatever I like.

My problem is actually another, which no availability of fresh water. So I am these days concentrating on resolving this issue.

7. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

OK, this will now probably make you as well as everyone else over here rolling on the floor and laughing. But I just remembered seeing a TV show (I think it was BBC's Panorama) - Where they interviewed some illegal marijuana cultivators in the urban areas, (as well as law enforcement personal who are assigned to take such people to task).

They had a very methodical approach to it, they also used artificial lights. Plus temperature and humidity control too. But to make sure that each plant got enough light - The even covered all the walls and the ceiling with reflective silver mylar.

It was amazing to see, as those criminals had no choice but growing such plants completely indoors... So if you can find such people in your locality, or somehow over the internet - Then I'm sure they will be able to teach you far more than I ever could.

:snicker: :rofl::smt044

[​IMG]

8. Odif

Odif Young Pine

To grow indoors, you need to control light temperature humidity and aeration. Modern indoor growing systems now use leds, which use less electricity than traditional sodium grow lights. They also create less heat that you will need to dissipate. Reflective coating maximises the light. A fan to simulate wind and create airflow for your plants is good too.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hello Jeremy, try contacting Hummerbum ( she is a member on here ), she has grown indoors and knows quite a bit about it.

Odif likes this.
  10. Steven63

Steven63 New Seed

The major problem which we faced in indoor gardening is the lack of sunlight. Sunlight is one of the major factors in the food preparation of plants. Try to make necessary arrangements to solve this issue before planning for the indoor plantation.

11. JBA

JBA New Seed

It depends but the temperature is very important, as well as lighting.

12. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Hi Jeremy.

I grow greens indoors all winter. Lettuce primarily, but also basil and sweet marjoram. I have not had much luck with spinach and don't waste time on it anymore.

I don't have expensive grow lights, just T5's. ( florescents.). LED's use less power, but are more expensive here. Without a grow light I would not have enough light. I also have them in an area with regulated heat and in a window for that extra bit of sunlight when possible Nothing beats those natural lumens.

What I have learned to be very important is a fan that runs with the timer when the lights come on. Without the fan, the seedlings are spindly and humidity is an issue.

I went from potting soil to a soilless mixture last year, just so that I did not have to deal with little fungus gnats flying all over the house. It has it's own set of issues, but I did not like the tiny flies everywhere.

I plant my lettuce early September indoors, for harvest late fall/early winter. Just a leaf lettuce,and I harvest the outside leaves. Every four weeks I start a new seeding. I've moved to a 6 inch deep, 3 ft long plastic patio planter for lettuce, which works great under a 3 or 4 ft florescent T5.

Hope that helps.

13. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Hey Mel :)
    Can you share what kind of soilless mixture you are using to grow lettuce?

Melody Mc. likes this.
  14. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

In Canada, we are still accessing a soiless mixture of peat moss base, and added mediums. It's pretty controversial, as it is not considered renewable. There is also a coir mixture available from coconuts. It is basically a growing medium with no nutrition....you have to add to nutrients. My daughter has a growing device called an aero garden? She buys pods with a wool based growing medium. She can grow lettuce, herbs and tomatoes year long.