Increase Your Lupine Stock,..From Cuttings.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Philip Nulty, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Now is the time for me to take Lupine Cuttings,..they have finished blooming and are almost begging to have cuttings taken.

Half way up the stem it looks like a plant with roots has began.
    IMG_5552.jpg

Just cut below where my fingers end.
    IMG_5551.jpg

Dip the cutting in Rooting Powder or Rooting Gel,..pot the cutting,..place in a greenhouse and by Spring you should have new Lupine Plants,..i have in the past left the cuttings outside through the end of Autumn and into Winter,..they survived.
    IMG_5550.jpg

Many type of plants thrive by having seeds sown before the first frost,..they like to go through a cold period before seedlings take,..any plant that self seeds goes through this cold period so its more natural,..plus your plant will spend more time in your garden rather than were you to sow seeds come Spring.

Henry Johnson, eileen and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thanks for the information Philip. I'll be checking mine this afternoon. Now where did I put that rooting compound? :headscratch:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Lol Eileen,..me being addicted to taking cuttings on a regular basic i have to ensure i still have some Rooting Powder left.

I cut back my Delphiniums after they were finished blooming,..sometimes i can get a second growth to bloom doing this,..the main reason i bother cutting back is to take cuttings from the new growth.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Still 'rooting' around for the compound!! I think a trip to the garden centre may be required but, as usual, if I buy more I'll probably find the first lot.:rolleyes:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Eileen,..that's always the way :rolleyes:,..i need to purchase a container of Rooting Powder every summer,..it only lasts me through Summer and Autumn,..i do take a lot of cuttings,..this present container states that it is Organic,..i hope its as good as it states on the label.