Indoor gardening with led grow lights!!

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by igrowwithleds, Jan 28, 2009.

1. igrowwithleds

igrowwithleds New Seed

I just wanted to say hello....im new!! I have a beautiful indoor garden growing using led grow lighting. If anyone has any questions about led and growing...let me know. Thanks

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi igrowwithleds and welcome to GardenStew. Maybe you'd like to introduce yourself and your hobbies/interests in the Welcome to GardenStew forum?

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there. So glad you've joined us here at GardenStew. I'd love to see some photographs of the plants you're growing as I've never tried any of mine under LED' grow lights.

5. igrowwithleds

igrowwithleds New Seed

Thanks!!

I am just starting a new garden now but will be posting pics weekly. I have about 17 different things started and sprouting under the leds. My sunflower in that pic has grown 6 inches this past week. I planted a bean plant along side and its using the sunflower as a bean pole. Its great!!
    :)

Advertisement
  6. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Welcome to the Stew from east Texas. Like Frank suggested, go to 'Welcome to Garden Stew' and introduce yourself. Tell us about your other interests, pets, family, etc. And we always love to see pictures. :)

7. igrowwithleds

igrowwithleds New Seed

What part of the stew?

Where should I go in the Stew to do this?

8. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Visit "forums", you'll find an introductory one there.
    I'm intrigued by your led growing, I had assumed that they are not full spectrum enough to do this. I look forward to hearing how the plants do through the growing cycle.
    Neat idea, running beans up the sunflowers!

9. igrowwithleds

igrowwithleds New Seed

Thanks!

A friend of mine Tras told me its an indian form of growing. He said they would then plant squash around the sunflower as well. This would help keep the soil damper with the broad leaves.
    The leds are great from seed to flower. I have flowering peppers and tomatoes right now and an odd 18 -22 different types of veggies and herbs (probably 400 things sprouting) as I write this. I need to get more containers for transplant as they grow. That garden will double in size as the produce expands! :)

10. Penny

Penny Young Pine

Me too, i would love to see your set up.

11. igrowwithleds

igrowwithleds New Seed

Its posted in my profile. Ill update weekly!

I have a foto in the profiles ection. Its actually larger than that now...i added about 4 new items. :)

12. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Welcome from coastal NC. I am planning to start seedlings under grow lights, but I think they are fluorescents. How soon before the growing season do you start them and do you start them in dome covered trays? Appreciate the advice.

13. igrowwithleds

igrowwithleds New Seed

hey!

I let them grow. I will ultimately move everything to an outdoor greenhouse Im building in the spring and start another selection. Im ultimatley going to have 40 onions,kale,50+ hot pepper plants,30+tomato,40 plus sunflowers,and an assortment of coriander,catnip,dill,2 differnt basils,thyme,rosemary,chamomille and an assortment of sweeter peppers and probably some eggplant. I have 2 inche tall kale and sunflower sprouts and havent seen a response at all from the eggplant. Its probably a bad seed batch so ill retry in a few weeks if nothing sprouts.
    My beans have been an interesting crop. i have a bean i dont know the name of that looks like an alien plant....long crazy tentacles. They have started climbing like crazy. Im designing a trellis for the wall behind the beans so they can climb.
    Im very intersted in growing patchouli under my leds. Cant find seeds anywhwere.
    Thanks!!!

14. rgasperson

rgasperson Seedling

I'm excited. The LEDs don't really put off any heat do they? That might be one downside. With regular growlights, there is some heat that is derived from the bulbs that warm the soil more than if they were just under normal indoor lighting. Do you loose anything because of that?

15. igrowwithleds

igrowwithleds New Seed

transpiration

One of the things that I had to learn was that leds, because they run warm,not hot,the plants tend to transpire less. i water evry couple of days.
    The last 2 days have been great in the garden. I have new tomato seedlings that just sprouted and are an inch tall this morning. My herbs are really taking off! I need to get more soil and new containers this week and get the seedlings into bigger containers.
    The only thing im waiting for is my eggplant and hot peppers.
    We had a foot of snow this week and its actually keeping my basement warmer. Woohoo![/img]

16. hydrogardener

hydrogardener Seedling

I also grow indoors, hydroponically, and use LED grow lights in addition to T5 and compact fluorescent lighting. This year I intend to use a 90 watt LED UFO light as supplemental lighting for my greenhouse in early spring. The small LED I use for propagating can be placed a few inches above the seedlings. The LED lights are about 80% more energy efficient than other forms of lighting. They also last for ten or more years. :-D