Indoor lettuce?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by crystalblueatmosphere, Feb 25, 2010.

1. drissel122

drissel122 In Flower

I'm sorry KK, just looked again at the photo...realize the stem in water might be the stem that was in the earth. In that case flipping it would be wrong.

2. drissel122

drissel122 In Flower

My romaine sprouts are starting to look like little plants. I took them out of the water to photograph, but put them back in because they still have no roots to enable them to get nutrients or moisture out of soil.

[​IMG]
    romaine sprouts ( photo / image / picture from drissel122's Garden )

3. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

wonderful pics drissel! that's what mine look like.

kk, is the bottom part of the core in the water? sorry, i'm having trouble figuring it out. keep the pics coming!

someone was asking about beets.i have not done the beets yet, but soon. i assume they're the same as carrots. with carrots, i cut off the greens and cut off the carrot top and put that in water. it grows fresh greens that one can use in salads, stews and such.

4. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Yes the bottom part of the core is in the water. The top part is broken so it looks like the bottom part. :) The broken top part is between the main part and the ice cube. Sorry to be confusing Bunkie.

Advertisement
  5. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

don't apologize kk! great explanation! i got it now! hope some leaces start growing. i haven't tried iceburg lettuce yet.

6. hydrogardener

hydrogardener Seedling

I have grown lettuce indoors for several years. It is well worth the effort, both in taste and cost. Locally lettuce costs almost three dollars in the market. I calculate I can grow a head of lettuce for about twenty five cents...

[​IMG]

7. drissel122

drissel122 In Flower

KK, now I see too...Leaves should start any day I would think.

Hydrogardener, I have had such fun watching my romaine regrow. What kind of nutrients do you add to the water? I will have to check out your link too...haven't had time to do that yet.

8. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

wow hydro! great pics, and i really am enjoying your blog. looks like you even got more snow than us this winter!!! :D

9. hydrogardener

hydrogardener Seedling

I am using bulk nutrients from a local greenhouse supplier, 5-11-25. I found them the most economical. Each six pot system produces about five gallons of lettuce every four weeks. We have not purchased salad greens in quite sometime.

[​IMG]

Hydrogardener, I have had such fun watching my romaine regrow. What kind of nutrients do you add to the water? I will have to check out your link too...haven't had time to do that yet.[/quote]

10. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

My lettuce did not make it and it is in the compost now :( I am not giving up and will try to find a way!!! :D

11. drissel122

drissel122 In Flower

Hi KK, try romaine if you have it. I'm going to keep on trying different types of vegetables and greens. It is fun isn't it?

12. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I was just thinking of that drissel :)

13. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Another good reason for a healthy lunch, eh KKNg!!

14. aprilconnett

aprilconnett Seedling

OK, now I have to try this. Especially the celery. My hubby and I don't really like celery, except in Chicken noodle soup. I always hate having to buy a whole celery stalk just to use a couple of ribs. This might be an option to keep some growing and use it like a cut-and-come-again plant . . . Just a thought.

15. drissel122

drissel122 In Flower

April, I feel the same about buying celery. Next time I buy a stalk for one or two pieces I will try to grow the stems again. One thing I do with leftover celery is chop it and freeze to use in soups and broths. It turns a bit mushy, so it can't be used for salads.