Injured Whistling Kite Hawk - Successfully Flying Again!

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by S-H, Jun 21, 2021.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I wasn't posting much over here in the last 2 weeks. Reason is, that I was taking care of my new friend - A Whistling Kite Hawk. So this is her story, how she recovered from an injury.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistling_kite

It all started around midday, when I heard some sounds outside. When I looked out the window, I saw this injured Hawk.

IMG_20210621_071028.jpg

IMG_20210621_070932.jpg

Seeing that the injury wasn't too bad, I said to myself, OK, no problem, I'll take care, until it fully recovers. All I needed to do was make sure that no stray cat would get to this bird. So I opened my backyard shed.

This is where I started to realize exactly how intelligent this raptor really is. Because I didn't need to do anything else, she herself (by instinct), knew exactly what was best for her.

At this same time, there was another Whistling Kite Hawk circling above - Obviously it's mate, as he looked very agitated, (also whistling like crazy).

This is the sound these birds make:

So her mate from above was watching everything. She too tilted her head and looked at him in the sky. Then she looked at me, and from the look in her eyes, I understood everything...

She probably said, I'm injured, so I just need a little time (and the use of your space) to recover. Please do not close the entrance to the shed, or my idiot mate above will have a heart attack. And I can easily defend myself against demestic cats. So no need to worry, as I will recover soon.

Believe it or not, but I can swear that this what she said to me.

How do I know that it was a she, not a he? Well, this is their mating season. And young females sometimes get injured, when different males are fighting for her. Also, on rare occasions, another alpha might try to steal a female from another male. But this is very rare, as usually whenever these birds mate, they stay together for life.

Anyhow I gave her water in a clean pan. And warmed up some meat from the freezer.

The thing I learned is, when you are really close to them. Like about 10 feet distance or less - You DO NOT look at these raptors in the eyes. As they will take it as a challenge, and so will become aggressive. So whenever you go near them to feed them. Keep your eyes down. Don't even try to look up at them for a second. Because they will already be looking at your eyes. So whatever happens, do not make eye contact with them when you are close. Or they will become very aggressive...

OK, this post has already become too long, so next time I will tell you all how this story ended on a positive note.

Has it even ended or not? I actually can't say, as I think she now wants to build a nest in one of my trees. Obviously because she now feels very secure around me.

Cayuga Morning and eileen like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a wonderful post S-H. I can hardly wait for the next chapter.

S-H likes this.
  4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Another thing to be very careful with, is that they are always watching your hands also, (aside from your eyes). They know that humans use their hands. To always keep your palms exposed. Do not show them the back of your hands. As that also, they will misinterpret as an act of aggression - Like you are trying to claw at them. This is why I don't have any detailed pictures of her. As I was afraid she would see the smartphone as a threat.

You have to be ultra careful of all these raptor protocols. Because they are birds of prey, and so if they decide that it's time to fight. Then their talons are very sharp and powerful - Effortlessly ripping apart flesh is the easiest thing in the world for them.

I am writing about this in detail, because I want my experience to be of use to others, (in case anyone is in a similar situation and Google directs them to this post)...

Anyway in a day and a half, this beautiful bird started to trust me... Yes, they are smart enough to recognize individual people. So even if she started to trust me - Doesn't in any way mean that she will trust any other human also.

Another thing which astonished me yet again, regarding how intelligent she was. Is that she wasn't making a single sound. Her mate kept circling above. And he kept making his calls. But she would walk out of the shed, let him see her, (thereby letting him know that she was alright). But would not make a sound.

Why? Because she knew that as long as she was grounded, any sound she makes, would attract other predators towards her.

Just goes to show how smart these birds really are... Another thing, when their wing is injured, they don't tuck it in, but let it hang, like we keep our elbows on the table.

However on day 3, this nincompoop cat decided to try his luck. He is an outside stray, who I often see on my property. He may look like an ordinary cat. But trust me, he has a few screws loose in his head... Anyhow, meet Mr. Dara Singh, (feel free to Google up who he is named after).

IMG-20210401-WA0001.jpeg

I know his naughty nature for about a year now, so I knew he was only out to make trouble when I saw him trying to creep his way to the shed - Thus I quickly filled up a mug full of water, (he hates it when I splash water on him).

But before I could get to him, Lady Hawk saw him coming - So at once she opened her wings and instantly become 5 to 7 times larger in size. Then she charged at him.

This sceared him so much, that he is now mentally scared for life perhaps.

:rofl:

IMG-20210508-WA0007.jpeg

So this was him afterwards, trying to recover from his torment. Therefore to cheer him up, we had to give him what he would enjoy - Eat this, not the bird, and for your own sake, resist the urge to make trouble...

IMG-20210331-WA0013.jpeg

This whole episode slightly strained our Lady Hawk's injured wing again. But not too much. So now I made a rule, that when it would get dark again - I would close the door of the shed. And before first light, I would open it again.

Next day, her mate flew in real low, just to check on her. Again, neither bird made any sound, (super intelligent). But they exchanged a meaningful look.

Will write more tomorrow.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    Frank, Odif and Cayuga Morning like this.
  5. eileen

I'm looking forward to tomorrow. Such a an interesting tale!!

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

It is, isn't it?

7. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Now the next day, anxious to fly again, she tried to lift off, (when her mate again flew by). But this stressed her right wing once more. So this is when I told her, in exactly these same words - Lady Hawk, you need to rest and heal first. Because if you keep exerting while injured, you'll never fly again. You are not a burden here, you are getting good healthy food, plus clean water. So please give yourself a chance to heal.

Logically speaking, it is highly doubtful that she would understand language. But from the intelligent look in her eyes, I knew that she understood everything.

So for the next few days, she really did not exert herself. I would give her meat, with lots of fat, (as fat will help them repair the damage faster). And she would eat it, then rest like a good girl.

2 days later something else happened which astonished me. As now I saw her mate drop a dead mouse in my yard - Obviously for her to eat... I am no bird watcher, so I will have to ask someone about this. Because this is something I haven't read or heard of before. I mean the level of affection and dedication these birds have exhibited for each other - Amazing!

Finally, a week after this when I opened the door of my shed before sunrise. I noticed that she was now perched high on a piece of equipment. Before she was grounded. But now she was looking down at me. She did not look like an injured bird anymore. But instead now looked at me with a majestic grace. So I now knew that she had healed. But I told her to not be impatient, wait until daylight becomes plentiful. And don't leave until I give her some more food.

Before when I would speak to her, she would attentively be listening. But now I sensed a kind of arrogance in her... Look in her eyes had also changed, as now I felt like I was talking to royalty. So it became very clear to me that she will attempt to fly today. In the last week, I had learned to read her emotions very well. Therefore I had no doubt of this.

In my native language, we call these birds Cheel. So few days ago when I had become sure that she will heal, (and not die) - I named her Chili Sauce, because of her spicy personality.

Anyway I went back inside and warmed up some meat for her. So just after sunrise I went out to give it to her. But she was gone. l looked around everywhere for her. Also asked Mr. Singh the nutcase stray cat, but he too was clueless and yawning, (so obviously he hadn't eaten her).

So after much searching for her for about 10 minutes. I finally found her. This whole time she was looking down at from the roof of my shed, (probably laughing at me).

Obviously, she could fly a little. But this now made me think, what if she now goes in a neighbor's house? How will I rescue her from here? But then I thought, that up till now she had been super intelligent, so she probably knows my limitations also...

Therefore now I went out on the roof of my house. I thought that from there I can toss her food on the roof of the shed. But when I was there, she was now perched high on the empty stem of my dead coconut tree - Seeing this put all my fears to rest. As now it became clear that she was fully healed.

So I now put the meat on the 3 feet high wall which goes all around the roof. And from the dead coconut tree, she dove and grabbed that piece of meat in her sharp claws, and continued to fly normally!

About 300 feet away, and almost 60 feet above ground. She now perched herself on the edge of an overhead water tank. And started to rip apart the meat she was holding in her claws. And now, as a show of victory, she very loudly started making her calls - Screaming out of joy!

Just at this moment her mate too came out of nowhere. And sat besides her. I thought that he will now want to eat that piece of meat also. But no, what he did amazed me yet again... He started rubbing his head on her head and back. And for a little while even opened his wing and draped it over her back, (while she kept nibbling at the meat).

I could be wrong, maybe the anxious mate was the female and the one I helped heal was the male? But I kept getting female vibes from the injured bird... However now it didn't matter, as she was flying perfectly again.

So I kept watching them for a while. And her mate continued to shower affection upon her, (wouldn't stop rubbing his head all over her). Again, I am no bird watcher, so will have to ask someone about this sort of a behavior. Because as far as I know, birds of prey don't exhibit this type of affection for their mates.

Anyhow, once the sun was up, and thermals from the ground started rising. They too flew up from there. I continued to watch them as they circled higher and higher. Just then I realized something - He was circling on her outside, a little behind... I said to myself, that this is exactly what Air Force fighter jets do, whenever flying in a pair - Wingman is always slightly behind and on the outside of the leader fighter, and always outside whenever circling. Always having the back of the leader fighter, so no one came from behind on the inside when circling, (outside airspace is automatically covered). So obviously, her mate was now extremely protective of her.

But I kept wondering, how on Earth do these birds know Air Force fighter jet maneuvers??? I kept scratching my head over this, until I realized - That humans have been flying for just 118 years. While these birds have owned the sky since a quarter million years at least! So obviously, they know more then our Air Force!

Anyway, I thought that the matter had ended. But no, now I see both of these birds around my house. They obviously like it here, and must feel secure.

This is her from the next day after she started flying again. Can any of you notice the look of arrogance in her posture? It wasn't there when she was injured...

IMG_20210626_071655.jpg

Anyway they are now always here every morning around sunrise, (waiting for thermals to start rising out of the ground). Then they fly away looking for food. But around sunset they return, and probably sleep in one of my trees.

Chili Sauce actually reminded me of the movie Lady Hawk, from the 80s...

:rofl:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    Frank, Odif and eileen like this.
  8. eileen

S-H I don't know when I've enjoyed reading a true wildlife story so much. Thank you for letting us know that Chili Sauce has fully recovered and is back with her partner.
    As a keen birder I know that birds that mate for life (not just birds of prey by the way) do show real affection for each other. Some humans would do well to take a leaf out of their book in that department!!
    Oh, by the way, a female raptor is always bigger than her mate. I hope this will help you sex Chili if you see the pair together side by side.

S-H likes this.
  9. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

You know that's quite interesting, that the female is larger in size. Probably because she has to lay eggs perhaps? So now that I think about it, it kind of makes sense...

As for what I can tell by observation of the pair together. They are roughly the same size. But Chili Sauce might be slightly larger, (by a tiny fraction, if at all) - Actually, the thought came to me, that maybe she might actually be a He, instead of a She. Is when Chili seemed a tiny bit larger. I didn't know that females are bigger, (you just now pointed it out, thanks). So I started wondering that perhaps Chili was a male. However the difference is so slight, that I can't be 100% sure. But then again, had there been no different, then why did she seem larger? So obviously, I did notice something. And Chili is tilting towards the heavy side of the average, in comparison to her mate, as well as others.

By the way, today also, they were here in the morning. And back again around sunset. If I get the chance, I will try to take a photograph of them together.

I am still amazed by the level of affection this pair exhibited for each other. Like when she finally flew, and he came right next to her. Then put his wing over her, (like we put an arm over someone). And how he kept rubbing his head over her head and back - This went beyond romance, but was pure worship... I'm honestly amazed!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    Odif and eileen like this.
  10. eileen

I hope both birds stay around and maybe bring their young with them in the future. Romance isn't just for we humans as I've seen swans and other birds (who mate for life too) demonstrating real affection for each other.

S-H likes this.
  11. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

In my culture, raptors are said to have a mystical influence. They are seen as proud, arrogant at times, unapologetic even, totally uncompromising too, (never agreeing with anyone) - Yet also very righteous and extremely wise, generous even. Plus completely fearless... As well as having an explosive nature, specially when it comes to romance, (once they find love, they cherish it forever). But also ultra vindictive, totally unforgiving, and absolutely merciless too, if provoked. Thus they are always idolized as symbols for warriors. Which is why the insignia of Pakistan Air Force is also of the falcon.

Our national poet and philosopher, Dr. "Allama" Muhammad Iqbal, who envisioned the concept of Pakistan - Also wrote extensively about these majestic and graceful birds of prey in his poetry - Which today has become our national philosophy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Iqbal

However what I learned from this entire experience. Is that they indeed are proud yet arrogant birds (for sure). And they feel insulted, humiliated even, whenever grounded.

Their feet start to hurt after a while when walking on the ground. As they are built to grab something, like a branch of a tree...

Their tail too needs to hang free. They absolutely hate it when it starts dragging on the ground. So they lift it up when on the ground - But to maintain balance, they now have to lower their head. Which is something they find unbearably humiliating. They also loathe captivity, so much so that they prefer to die then live in a cage.

Most amazing thing I learned is that, (aside from showing that level of devotion for their mate) - Is that when you help them while keeping their dignity intact. They are thankful, and never forget the favor. Even as I write this, Chili Sauce and her mate are circling above my house, (I can hear their calls).

eileen and Odif like this.
  12. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I think she has a sense of humor also... Clearly she is very naughty - I went out for a walk to the grocery store just before sunset, and she was circling above, making her calls. I go out in my car, and she often follows me on the road too.

Anyway here are some pictures I took just a few minutes ago. Her mate also isn't leaving her alone. He is always around, and is obviously very protective of her. However he doesn't come close to me - But she has no such problem.

Screenshot_2021-07-09-10-10-14-897_com.miui.gallery.jpg Screenshot_2021-07-09-10-11-06-707_com.miui.gallery.jpg Screenshot_2021-07-09-10-12-05-618_com.miui.gallery.jpg Screenshot_2021-07-09-10-14-17-651_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    eileen likes this.
  13. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

She is constantly stalking me, everywhere I go, she is nearby. Crazy Bird...

:snicker: :rofl: :snicker:

Screenshot_2021-07-29-07-30-54-592_com.miui.gallery.jpg

14. eileen

I have a feeling that she knows you are her friend and will never do anything to harm her.

S-H likes this.