Introducing My Babies!

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Gardening Grandma, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Gardening Grandma

Gardening Grandma New Seed

Hello, First Id like to let you all know that although I do gardening, sewing, decorating, antiques, we also run a small rescue out of our home for injured, abused and severely hurt Alaskan Malamutes & Siberian Huskys.
    Why these two breeds? Well, Here in St Louis years ago I got into fostering and learned that there was NO specific rescue for these babies. Their are several in the pounds dying every day and no one or where to go. We do not only take them out of the shelters but from out of state as well. Since we are not a 501c3 and only state licensed, we fully fund this ourselves so there for we can only take in a very few at a time.
    So the majority of the babies left in our home at the time are those that were either never adopted, adopted and returned a couple of times or to injured to be the sporting animals that they are.
    So to start off with, Here is our eldest who has nothing what so ever to do with the rescue lol - We got Toby out of the paper - free to a good home when he was 8 wks old.
    Toby Gene he just turned 15 this past may.
    Toby is a Chow/Border collie Mix

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Gardening Grandma's Garden )

Titan is a Siberian Husky
    Then comes Titan who when he came was under fed dramatically. The sad part of it was a foster home was even being sent the money to buy the food, but Titan wasnt getting it.
    This is the first day he came in to our home.

[​IMG]

This is him today - age 13 - titan had been adopted out twice, but was returned for one reason or another. He has always been my problem child of the pack. Ive always said he has ADHD
    [​IMG]

This little guy is Kody Mitchell, (Siberian Husky)
    Again, he came to us from a foster home where id found out he was being beat on by a broom. hed been pulled from a shelter, dumped by his owners because of his medical problesm. They'd ran him so hard he blew a knee and then kept running him. well it all took its toll. By the time he got to us, no surgery will help him. He is crippled for life. Both knees are blown and his hips are bad but here at our house, he does so very well. He turned 11 this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And the above photo is of Kody Today
    Now comes Stryder lol (Siberian Husky)
    this was his name when I adopted him. I know why did I adopt him?
    Well the condition he was in when I seen him, I did it to get him away from that rescue.
    Id went to Petsmart to buy food, not knowing that an adoption event was going on lol - as I walked in I was praying not to see a husky, but my prayers were not to be answered cause there he laid curled up in a ball in a crate.
    I stopped, and said - Hey, he looked at me with the saddest big blue eyes ever and when he raised his head my heart dropped and then I seen red.
    He stood up and started woo wooing at me, one of the rescue workers ran over asked me what I did to him. I said - I talk to him? dosent anyone ever do that? I thought well, she was being - well you know lol
    anyway, I did ask what had happened to his leg and she'd told me hed been adopted and got out the door and was hit by a car, it was either amputation or he'd die. I asked for the paperwork right then and there to adopt him. Because their procedure was the first one that wanted him, had the money, walked out the door with him. My concern was for his life, he didnt need to get into another situation as he'd just come out of. The rescue on the other hand had him in that store up for adoption only 3 days AFTER his amputation. I was so upset over that.
    Not to mention it was my husbands birthday lol, I got in the car with the food, Katie my female husky at the time and stryder heading home lol. I called my husband and told him I had a b-day present for him. He stated it had better not have 4 legs? hahaha, well he didnt he had 3! But either or my husband fell in love with him the minute he seen him as I had. But we did try to adopt him out and not one person ever even questioned us about him. He was up for adoption for 5 years.
    Stryder will be 6 this October.
    the photos will be of the day I brought him home, how he sleeps with his tongue hanging out and now photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is Kody and Stryder Together
    [​IMG]

This big bruit is Tj, (Tango's Little Shadow) AKC
    Our Alaskan Malamute he will be 6 in october as well.
    Our malamute (Tango) had passed away at the tender age of 4 1/2 years old of Kidney Failure. He was the product of a back yard breeder.
    After he'd passed, it broke my heart, my husband started searching for a malamute pup and the last time he'd tried seaching (cause he wasnt finding anything) he ran across a breeder located in Oklahoma.
    Needless to say I picked Tj out of a photo he'd sent me cause he was the darkest colored one.
    He was also the ALPHA lol - Lord help me. He is the most sturborn, mouthy,pushy, sweetheart Ive ever known! I have trained him to help me walk on days Im not doing so well, I trained him to get my breathing medications I keep in a fanny pack (easier and safer for him to pick up)
    but here is Tj -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This little girl is Kaitlyn Nichole - (Alaskan Malamute)
    she was named after Katie (my husky who'd passed and Nikko another husky that we'd lost)
    She came from a high kill shelter and is marked like our first malamute.
    Although her personality is totally different, she was and still is a case in the works.
    We did adopt her out, but she came back 2 months later after she'd totally destroyed this mans new house. Im talking about ripping new carpet up, tearing down the back door, tearing the alarm system out of the wall and lots of other things. She came back here and was fine, didnt bother anything.
    She was aggressive when she came in so we had to really watch her around the boys. I free feed so we really had to watch her around the food. And there is NO crate that will hold this lil wizard. She will break out of any that she is in. And she would, we'd wake up and she'd be up on our couch sleeping lol. but she wouldn't bother anything. So we started introducing her into the pack and we had some problems but they were worked out and she is now doing good. Although she can not be adopted, I do not know why she picked us here lol - but she will not go to another home.
    She turned 3 this spring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and last but not least -
    My Babies!

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Oh my goodness what beauties your babies are.I think TJ is smiling at you.They all fit in in their own way.Thanks for saving so many of them.You have made a world of difference for them.They now are being loved and cared for.God Bless you all.

4. wilsonmian

wilsonmian Seedling

Hey,
    all are really good, specially the black one.

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

They are really beautiful animals, I've always had a soft spot for huskies. Thanks for the interesting read GGrandma. I loved Stryder's story.

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

You've got a big heart and a bunch of lovely, adorable furry babies as a result. :D They are so special, each and every one of them. I'm so glad they've got a home with you.

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I'm so glad you introduced them! I love them all. It is amazing to see the difference in the photos of when they first came to you and then current. They all look absolutely loved and happy now. Look at them all smiling and laughing! You've done a wonderful thing.

8. BuilderOne

BuilderOne New Seed

I'd like to congratulate you for doing a good job on all of them :) I hope more were like you

9. fani

fani New Seed

Hey,
    all looks very beautiful, specially the sixth and seven one.

10. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Bless you for the job you do. Your babies are all so beautiful. It just breaks my heart to read the stories about them. They are so much better off with you and your husband. And I know that they are keenly aware of their improved surroundings. Wish there were more people like you! :)

11. Gardening Grandma

Gardening Grandma New Seed

thank you all so much, but unfortunately the state I live in feels differently and they are changing the laws so I will no longer have a state license to rescue with come jan 1 2010. I need the license to pull from the pound/shelters, but now you have to be a full 501c3. So - looks like my days in rescue are over thanks to the "state" I live in.

12. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Oh no, how awful. Will you be able to keep the pets you have now? I am so sorry to hear this...

13. kkluv155

kkluv155 Seedling

Your dogs are so beautiful. I wolud love to have a husky but here in Louisiana its just too hot for them.

14. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Beautiful dogs! What luck they had in finding you. Both of our Dobies are rescue dogs, and wonderful. :-D

15. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Those animals are so beautiful and you're an angel to save them. I know they will love you for life. Some people treat pets as if they were disposable, I hate that! At least you have saved a few.