Introduction from Suffolk

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Sydney Smith, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hallo. Just joined and may I pse make myself known. Have been a very keen gardener for 56 yrs and love all plants and all associated things i.e. Birds Wildlife etc etc. Grow and have grown a good range but main accent is on herbaceous perennials and especially foliage though flowers also much loved.
    Other interests include photography, walking locally, bird and wildlife generally watching and several others. Live in a bungalow right next to woods and much wide open space. Will leave it there but happy to have a natter. Am just coming up for 80 yrs age. Syd (Smith).

Frank, dooley, Henry Johnson and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Sydney and a warm welcome to GardenStew! 56 years, that's absolutely amazing. I can't wait to hear your stories Sydney, please do share any time you can :)

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hi Syd, welcome to GardenStew from Chelmsford, MA USA. You will enjoy it here. Lots of interesting posts. Welcome aboard.

Jerry

5. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Welcome Syd from Virginia.

Advertisement
  6. CariAnn88

CariAnn88 Seedling

Hi and welcome from Bolton UK

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Syd, welcome to GardenStew from north Texas, glad to have you join us.
    56 yrs of gardening, really looking forward to any gardening stories, tips and hints that you want to share with us.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

A warm welcome to our forums Syd from Scotland in the UK. I hope to get to know you and learn from you.

9. donm

donm In Flower

Hi and welcome from Pennsylvania.

10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

And welcome from SE Texas. Can't wait for you to show us all the things that you grow.

11. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Hi, Syd! Welcome to a great forum on gardening. I might have been gardening for that long. I started as a child. I'm glad you are still able to get around and garden. It does keep you young and moving.

dooley

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

And yet another warm welcome from Texas! We are in central Texas with the ability of gardening for about 10 months of the year.
    Please post any advice, observations, and photos that you have. With 56 years of gardening you have a lot to share, I'm sure!

13. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Welcome.

Hi all. Many thanks for the very pleasant and friendly welcome I have received. If I may say please I have, like we all in time, had a goodly and varied gardening experience over the years and very happy to share these with all interested folk here - have and still do grow a good selection of plants - I must stress though that I never have and never will claim to be an expert, that I am not but have had quite a bit of experience and such as these are/have been am happy to natter about them. Its been said many times you never ever stop learning about gardening (as in all things?) which has been my greatest relaxation since starting in 1957 having married and with first property/garden. Ref photos I am very keen with a camera and consequently always have them to share - even one of me but I advise sitting down whilst looking at it. Enough I think but if you will permit I would like to post again and give a brief account of my gardening activities over the years and also some of the plants I grow/have grown. Very best wishes and thanks again. Syd ( this preferred to Sydney).

Hi all. Further to last post - some comments on my gardening interests over the years. First property was newly built on very rough meadowland which was not flat but in which the undulations were kept since they added interest. Much mowing with a push mower (funds were tight) finally got it looking OK and first faltering steps were to cut a few little beds in it here and there and plant some annuals. Interest quickened rapidly and this simple start soon gave way to an interest in shrubs and herbaceous/evergreen/grey/silver plants - the accent was mainly on foliage and also cottage garden plants. I hunted these up from many sources - a good one those years ago being small ads in the garden magazines offering "hardy perennials" for sale and in a lot of cases was the surplus from private gardens both big and small. Borders were cut all round the plot and others extended from these diagonally across to provide corners to walk round rather than see plot all in one go. Progressed with this and also created raised beds to grow smaller plants and alpines, bulbs, grasses etc on a higher area immediately at back of bungalow. Also had a greenhouse kept cold for growing Alpines(interesting ones but nothing too complicated) and as a rearing area, bringing on offsets, cuttings etc. One area of this garden was damp and lower lying so a pond was dug with suitable moisture loving plants and shrubs around it including the yellow and red stemmed Dogwoods, Hostas, Astilbes, Ligularias, Peltiphyllum, Rodgersia, Lobelias, Bugles and others. Lived there for 25 years by which time a good collection of plants had accumulated and took many samples of these with us to next property which was village near Colchester. Will tell of that next post if I may pse. Syd.

14. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Welcome Sydney Smith. Hope you enjoy it here.

Excited to see the results of your special ability of the use a camera. I am anxiously waiting to see your garden.

15. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. Great to meet you and thanks for the welcome. Ref cameras I use DSLR's and find them brilliant being able to fill a card, upload to PC and edit without having to have developing done. I am not really skilled at it all but I am learning and try hard. There's a few pics I sent today in "Sydney Smiths Garden" if you are able to get to them. I am still trying to find my way around the site so please excuse any errors. Best wishes. Syd.

Hi again. My apologies ref the pics I have sent today. I said they had gone to Sydney Smiths Garden but this is not so I find. I have made an error somewhere. They are in Unsorted Photos and perhaps someone will put me right as to how move to them from there to my garden. Many thanks. Syd.

moderator's note: corrected Chatspeak see point 3.2 of usage rules

16. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Absolutely beautiful. Now if you edit your post and, add photo, it will take you to your garden. Then you can add your photos to a post.