Introduction of me

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by toni, Jan 12, 2006.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I joined a few days ago and figured I had better say something to the group.
    I live in north Texas and just might not be doing much gardening this year unless the drought comes to an end. 2005 ended almost 16" below normal rainfall and the 5th driest year on record, driest since 1956. The ground is like concrete and we are on water restrictions so my gardens are no more.

Married almost 26 yrs, two daughters, one SIL and two scrumptious grandsons. We have an aging black cocker spaniel named Rambo but since we do live in the middle of the city, only the usual birds and squirrels are out back.

I don't grow vegies since my family doesn't really like vegies, but do grow cucumbers for pickles... I have a wonderful sweet pickle recipe I will share if anyone is interested. Also grew green cotton a couple of years ago, now I need to learn to spin it into yarn so I can either knit or weave something from it.

May not get to do much gardening this year, but look forward to enjoying reading about the gardening you all are doing.

Toni

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Toni soooo glad you decided to come join us here at GardenStew!!! :D

Gosh we have the opposite of your weather here in Scotland at the moment. My garden has about 2" of gloopy mud on top of frozen solid soil. At the moment we have gale force winds and teeming rain!!! :(

I'd love to have a copy of your sweet pickle receipe as I love trying new ideas. :)

4. i love bugs

i love bugs The Weatherman of Craggy Island

Hi Toni , plenty of rain here in Ireland too, I havent watered my plants since October :D . If only we could export the stuff. Welcome :smt023 Bugs

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Toni :D Very nice of you to join the crazy bunch here at GardenStew.com. I was reading your blog earlier. Love the name of your garden FRED. Yaba daba doo!

I hope you get some rain this year. Here in Ireland we take water for granted, usually because we have too much of it! Hey Bugs maybe we should set up a water export company :D

Looking forward to seeing you on the boards Toni :smt023

Advertisement
  6. bluebells

bluebells Seedling

Hi Toni, pleased you have said hello , very cold here in Essex but dry at least.
    I am also new here just joined a few days ago , looks a good place to be.

Cheers Bluebell.

7. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Hi, Toni! I live in Arizona. We last had rain in October. Nothing is predicted in the near future. I'm planning a garden and a new herb garden. May be water restrictions though. We'll wait and see.
    Are you near all the grass fires? Dooley

8. toni

Yep, those wildfires have been all around our area. My Mom lives about two hours west of us and everyone in her town has been told to keep a bag packed and ready in case they have to evacuate. A couple of small towns south of her were almost destroyed by the wildfire a couple of weeks ago.

So far there have been just the typical kitchen fires/heater fires in the city proper, but there is still concern about grass fires from tossed cigs or even passing trains and how quickly they could spread.

9. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Wildfires are scary. We had some come within 8 miles of us last summer. We live near a lot of pinebark beetle killed trees. We have a bag of important stuff packed. The fires spread so fast and you can't tell which direction they will take next.
    I have been through Texas several times. Our son was at Shepherd AFB in Wicita Falls so we were there a few times. It's the only place where we spent any time. Dooley

10. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Hi Toni, I just can't imagine not having rain....we seem to be getting your share here in Essex! Some days, as I wander up the garden, I can hear water trickling through our lawn!
    Anyhow, good to meet you!

11. toni

Thanks for the welcomes.

I will take all the rain any of you all can pack up and send my way. The weatherman is teasing us by mentioning that there is a slight possibility of rain for Sunday night.

I posted the recipe for the sweet pickles in the recipes and cooking forum for anyone who might be interested.