Invasion Of A Different Kind!

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by KK Ng, Dec 31, 2019.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

My egg plant was normally invaded by hairy creatures aka monkeys that stole the fruits but now it is invaded by teeny weeny furry kind. From the top this is how my poor plant infected area looks like.

[​IMG]

On checking the underside this is how it is.

[​IMG]

And this is a closeup

[​IMG]

Any idea what it is? I had removed 3 sprigs with the infestation and sprayed the whole plant with a solution of soap, vinegar and baking soda. Hope I did the right thing!

A very happy coming 2020!!!:):D:stew2:

2. Loading...

3. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Hey kk I have these kind of fluffy bugs on my plants sometimes. In the evening I sprinkle a good dose of wood ash on my plants. And in the Morning, before the sun hits the plants, I spray the plants with water. This is also effective against mushrooms on the leaf due to the alkaline environment. If you have soap solution it will do the same thing.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I suspect a horticultural oil like neem oil would help. Being that they are cocooned, and hard to get to, suffocation seems likely to be the most direct route. Neem is also insecticidal, and with continued use can be absorbed a little by the plant to help defense. They remind me of mealybugs or scale. They will probably need to chew their way out of the cocoon, so were it mine to choose, I would have some permethrin mixed in the oil spray so it killes them if they are in fact the type that emerges.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  5. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Ok they look like mealy bugs. You can also just crush them.

6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Odif :) I'll keep an eye out for them and shower them with soap bath if they were ever to rear their ugly head again!

Thanks for the tip Dirtmechanic.