Is it feasible/possible to add photo downsizing to the site

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Comments / Help' started by cherylad, Dec 3, 2013.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I don't have a problem downsizing my photos to post here, and I understand the reasoning for having a limit on the size allowed.
    I use Photoshop here at work and I have GIMP at home.
    But I keep seeing members having problems or questions on how to get their photos to the proper size to upload, and was wondering if it is possible and/or feasible to have some kind of way to have an "on-site" photo editing option?

2. Loading...

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Cheryl---I think that is a great idea! I for one would very much appreciate it. I am not tech savvy. I used to be able to reduce the size of my photos by going on Picassa and then to 'Creative Kit' but this feature has been discontinued. I have new photos I would love to post but can't :(

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I use GIMP, it's free and really easy to use.

5. annieh

annieh Seedling

I downloaded Faststone that Frank put a link to on the starter pack. It's easy to use.

Advertisement
  6. V for short

V for short Seedling

I use Faststone as well for my regular photo viewer. It's simple to use and to resize photos. I'd recommend it.

7. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

I prefer to do my editing off line rather than on line. I use older versions of Photoshop and Corel Paint shop pro. On eBay you can find less than current versions at a very reasonable price and still have 95%+ of the capabilities of the new version.

8. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Cheryl, photos that are uploaded are actually resized automatically up to a certain limit (2700 pixels width x 2200 pixels height). The thing is with cameras taking high resolution photos by default nowadays they are commonly above our size restrictions. The size restrictions are in place to prevent too much of a strain to be placed on the server as photo resizing is quite memory/RAM intensive.

However last year we moved to a new server so there may be some scope for increasing the limit.

Can I ask everyone what is the default resolution of photos that you take (width/height in pixels)?

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My camera is set for 4000w/3000h pixels.
    I have no problem continuing to use GIMP, it's free, it's pretty much exactly like Photoshop and easy to learn....did I mention it's free and so are updates? ;)

10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

My pics are usually 180dpi and I reduce them to 6 inches or 900 pixels wide which gets me under the 2MB limit to upload here.

Toni... I had never heard of GIMP, but when my work computer at home died, they gave me an old basic one. And it had GIMP already installed. I was surprised how much it worked like Photoshop.

It's second nature to me to always resize my photos for here. But it seems like over the years, a few people express that it's an extra step that they don't want to take or can't take.

It was just a thought.

Edited to add: my camera is set to 2592x1944pix

11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I have no idea what # of pixels my camera has. I know I usually have to reduce my pictures by 90% or so. The program I had been using is no longer available. How would I find out what my camera is set to?