Is it just me? Reaction to spiders/wasps/bees

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by CariAnn88, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Green Fingers

Green Fingers Seedling

My 5yrs old has the same reaction every time he sees a bee anywhere near him. And I know I would react the same if I see a snake/lizard, even if it is not moving. Oh, and I have a fear of flying, height, water too. I have tried many times but I could not learn swimming and I make my husband drive all the way to Key west every fall :D . Cari, you are much better than me in the phobia department :)

2. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

CariAnn your not on your own...I don't go into a state of screaming...instead it's like someone as walked over my grave and I go in to a state of freezing coldness and freeze on the spot but thanks to hubby he helped me by buying one of these (Electric zapper racket) and by killing spiders it's been heaven :like:

3. kate

kate In Flower

entomophobia Thanks for that Ronni it describes me down to a ‘T’ !!

Hopefully spiders have got the message now, death to any indoors but I do have electric plugins near the point of entry by the front dooralso in the bedroom. Last week I caught one swinging from a light bulb...:smt081

In another house I had problems with mice when they pulled down properties. Bees and Wasps scare me silly all summer. Always a relief when summer ends.
    K

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Here in Texas we have two of every bug invented, and they are inviting their cousins over for a visit!
    I don't like spiders, but have learned how helpful they are in keeping grasshoppers, beetles, and other pests under control. We have an Argiope outside our kitchen window with her herringbone web that is helping keep the bug population in bounds.
    We have bees, wasps, and yellow jackets. I avoid the ones that look like they want to sting someone, and ignore the others (mostly bees and red wasps). If you don't swat at them, most stinging insects will simply leave you alone.
    We also have snakes and lizards. The snakes are mostly non-venomous, and if you walk with a sturdy step, the vibration from you footstep gives them a signal to flee. The cottonmouths and rattlers also don't want to mess with humans. Someone told them that more snakes were killed by people than people killed by snakes.
    Lizards are very shy--they don't want anything to do with humans and can attain a good speed getting away from you.
    We like living with wildlife, even the wildlife that isn't particularly pretty, cute, or adorable. They were here before we arrived on the farm, and will be here after we leave.

Frank and Gail-Steman like this.

Advertisement
  5. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

These never bother me mate...because of being around them at school when I was younger it caused no fear...gives me hundreds of these to one spider :(

6. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

I've got to say rather you than me because i'd be to petrified to move one step :setc_089:

7. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Mosquitoes bother me...I get nervous with them buzzing around my head and then if I break into a sweat I am their prime target! Spiders we have sooooooooooooooooooo many of them by the lake, never realized how fast they can spin a web. We are cleaning off our lawn furniture all of the time. If one falls in front of me when I am gardening I just clap my hands and try to get them before they end up on me....

Gail-Steman likes this.
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Ditto what MG said !!

marlingardener likes this.
  9. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

@Sherry8 we're the same here regarding spiders and garden furniture, you can remove them but come the next day they're back again :mad:

10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Orb-weavers, Writing spiders....all names for Argiope. If you have read the book or seen the movie Charlotte's Web....Charlotte is an Argiope and totally harmless. Unless, of course, you are a flying insect who does not look where you are going, then run into her very ornate web and become lunch.

When I first started clearing out the lawn and putting gardens in their place I would come across a small garden snake once in a while. The first one really surprised me so I flung it across the yard, now I just scoop them up with shovel and move them some place where they will be safe.

I have a Lounge of Texas Spiny Lizards and a Lounge of Geckos in the back yard. I had my back yard certified as a wildlife safe zone with the National Wildlife Federation many years ago so they all happily call it home.
    Also have a Passel of Opossums hanging around, they drive Wizard (the cat) crazy when one or more come wandering across the front sidewalk under the living room window, he wants to play! Yea, right!
    But the more grubs they eat, the fewer June bugs we have.