Is Potato

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

One row left to dig.
    I have a spare refrigerator in the garage. When they are washed, some of the potatoes will be stored there.
    As much as I love potatoes, the digging season has been four months between the earlies and the lates. I think I'll be relieved when it's over.p.

Sjoerd, Pacnorwest and Melody Mc. like this.
  2. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Thanks so much Sjoerd. You are right - there is a whole baking season ahead!

I tried making potato pancakes. Something went wrong. They were heavy and did not taste good. I don't know if it was the potato variety (mixed types), my recipe, or my method. I will try again. My dad used to make them, 40 years ago. I'd like to taste them again.

Sjoerd and Melody Mc. like this.
  3. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@Daniel W - my Hubby is also nostalgic about his Dad's potato pancakes. He brings it up fro time to time. I have never made them. I'd love the recipe and pointers once you have perfected it Daniel ( and I know you will). I could surprise him and generate a big smile. :)

Daniel W and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Too bad about the pancakes. Do you eat them with melted cheese on top of them? Any herbs mixed through?

Melody Mc. likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

I just like them with garlic and butter. My dad put apple sauce on his. His recipe was basically, cut a small potato into chunks, then put into a blender with an egg, a tablespoon of flour, a little salt, pepper, a small onion, and baking powder. Puree, then add a couple cups of potatoes cut into chunks, roughly chop but not totally puree. Then fry on a hot skillet coated with oil.

My last try came out better, but still chewy. It might be the potato variety, I don't know.
    i will continue trying.

I've been procrastinating emptying the last grow bag that I had planted late season potatoes in, this Spring. Today I emptied it.

AB33A8D7-2078-4DC8-9202-7522AC1A63F8.jpeg

I think these are Kennebek potatoes. Not a huge crop, but not too bad. That was three potato starts. They didn't sprout yet despite the rains. Not eaten by voles, which is good :).

I washed them and out them in the extra fridge.

Some people make potato pancakes using mashed potatoes. Maybe I should try that. But I know they wouldn't be the same.

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Those spuds look pretty good, don’t they. Are they destined for pancakes? Were you happy with the bag experiment? You guys eat well there.
    I always enjoy your postings.

Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I recently saw a funny posting on Facebook. It was written by a family who put a potato in the candy bowl that they were offering to kids on Halloween. They wrote about the hilarious reactions of the kids, many of whom chose the potato over a candy bar, loudly proclaiming the they had.....A POTATO! The family kept having to replenish their supply of potatoes. Kids began arriving on their doorstep Halloween night asking if they were the potato family. One group of teenage boys dubbed themselves (quite loudly, of course) as The Potato Gang, and all took a potato. In the end, the couple ran out of potatoes (after handing out 40-odd) and only had candy bars to give for the last hour of Trick or Treating.

Jewell, Zigs, Melody Mc. and 3 others like this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a neat story, Cayu. We liked reading that. Kids choosing a potato over a candybar— who’da thunk.
    We have marzipan potato's here for the season…they’re good too.
    Thanks again for the posting.

Cayuga Morning and Melody Mc. like this.
  9. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Thank you Sjoerd. This is my favorite website.

Some of those potatoes might be destined for pancakes. Mostly, I cut into slender fries and air-fry them. Or potato soup. My mom had a recipe for that.

Next year I'm cutting back from eight rows to four rows and maybe four bags. I don't need as many and I need to give myself a break.

I am happy with the bad experiment. think container or bag growing has a place. It might be less productive than in-ground, or maybe they needed more fertilizer. The potatoes are mostly nice size, clean, maybe a little earlier. Much easier for me to take care of the potato plants. Much easier to harvest and they are cleaner. Rodents didn't eat the spuds like they did the in-ground ones.

@Cayuga Morning I wonder if those kids had seen a real potato before? It doesn't seem possible they haven't...

Cayuga Morning and Melody Mc. like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Glad to hear that the bag experiment was worthwhile for you. I found using commercial soil bags for growing toms easy and I was pleased with the harvest amount.

We have cut back on our amounts of spuds too. We wound up having so many we could not even give them all away before they began to sprout. We are trying to find the proper amount to plant.

Keep up the good posting.

11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Sjoerd.... There's always Halloween for all those extra spuds.

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Too right Cayu. I read that article. Chuckle. What a surprise.

I was rolling-back some mulch to spread some aged stall manure and came across this:
    Is Potato.
    616A4FB3-012C-441E-9198-329087584B9D.jpeg

I can never understand how I can miss them when harvesting. Oh well, the soil was soft and loose, so extracting is was no worry.

Cayuga Morning, Frank and Melody Mc. like this.
  13. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

@Sjperd, you do a better job than I, removing potato volunteers. I sometimes find them in places that haven't been use for potatoes for two years.

At least that one graduated from "Is Potato" to "Was Potato" :smt005

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Roaring with laughter— yes, that guy is indeed a “Was Potato” now.
    It is a big deal here—the volunteers. We do not want them in the ground because they are notorious for spreading disease, and this is an area where the farmers grow potatos in enormous numbers. They do not take kindly to lax potato growers. Aside from being aware of the farmers, we do not want to run the risk of potentially infecting other member’s tomato or potato crops.
    It’s just a thing here.

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Potato humour.
    574F25A6-DC57-447E-957D-7341BCA7428D.jpeg

I don’t roll ciggies, but my fingers do look like that when I lift spuds.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022