Is the No Mow Lawn to become a reality?

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by Frank, May 6, 2006.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

According to the following article scientists may one day be able to control plant size one day due to the fact that they have deciphered the signaling pathway for a key class of steroid hormones that regulates growth and development in plants.

http://www.hhmi.org/news/chory20060504.html

Imagine, lush green grass that requires no cutting! Sign me up :D

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. garden_newbie
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. JOE2
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It would be a real shame if they discovered how to saving mowing your lawn - I love the smell of newly cut grass.
    Somehow I think a lot of mower, strimmer and edging tool manufacturers would try to stop this happening as they'd find their businesses floundering to say nothing of grass seed and turf suppliers.

4. i love bugs

i love bugs The Weatherman of Craggy Island

:eek: :eek: :eek: About 20 of my maintenance jobs require grass cutting , I hope they dont "invent" this until I retire :D
    For Eileen did you know that the person cutting the grass can't get the smell
    8) Bugs

5. eileen

No i didn't Bugs but there again that's Ian's job!!! :p

Advertisement
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I have never been able to understand jobs being male or female jobs. We were raised to do whatever needed to be done. Seems like outside jobs became mine when I didn't work and I like doing them. Brian has inside jobs that maybe should be mine. Who does them is beside the point if they get done. He does do car things, etc. but I could if I needed to. I took a class. I guess whatever works out for your family is the way to do it. I told my boys just because I was the only female in the family that I wasn't doing all the work. They can all cook and clean and do laundry. They share housework now because their wives, etc. work too. Dooley

I guess this isn't exactly the forum for this. sorry!

7. eileen

I agree with you Dooley as Ian and I share most jobs in and outside the house. Mowing the lawn, however, is Ian's job as the lawnmower is too heavy for me to push and therefore puts too much pressure on my replacement, false joints. Still the up side is that I get to smell the newly mown grass!!! :-D

8. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I guess I jump to conclusions too fast. It always irks me that people have his and hers jobs. I'll be careful of it in future. Maybe! I can't always promise. Dooley

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

maybe... :)

10. Gizmo

Gizmo Animal Magnet

Well I never noticed that about the smell. I smell the next door peoples but not mine hhhhhhummmmmmmmmm. I never noticed. Well back to the subject at hand. Being I do it all in and out because hubby works full time I wouldn't mind no mowing. The smell I would miss tho :D

11. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Well,there is no argueing here .Its just me and Oreo and Oreo being so small can't reach the steering wheel and can't reach the handle on the push mower to get what I can't with riding mower and can't do anything really but be my friend so I do it all unless Kevin and Shanna do it for me which they usually do .

12. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

No-mow lawns already exist...it's called Astroturf, lol. :-D

We have three lawns to mow, big, medium and little... I have seriously considered replacing the medium one with some kind of low groundcover and something ornamental so it still looks good but doesn't need so much maintaining.

13. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I've thought of astroturfing my intire yard around my flowers,and shrubs too.
    :).

14. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Randy keeps threatening to cover our front yard with concrete so he won't have to mow.
    His dad gave him a riding mower years ago and eventho our yard is the typical surburban sized lot he uses it. I have a "me powered" push mower for the backyard.

I am thinking that since there is no living grass in our front yard any longer because of the two year drought and watering restrictions, this just might be my chance to get some Buffalo Grass planted out there. It doesn't grow taller than 6", can be mowed but doesn't have to.

15. Shanna

Shanna In Flower

Well I think it would be great in some ways and bad in another.I do like the smell also.

16. prairiefeather

prairiefeather New Seed

How about the rock yards people used to have? When I lived in Plano around 1976, I think about 1 out of every 20 houses in our little Fox in a Box neighborhood had a quartz rock yard. Complete with assorted yucca and cactus, cow skull, and rusted farm implement decor. They would put down plastic and sand and then rocks on top.
    I guess they really didnt want to mow.