Is there such a thing as a "natural" mini Syngonium?

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Bluewing0, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Bluewing0

Bluewing0 Seedling

Is there such a thing as a "natural" mini Syngoniu

I bought a 6"-7" light green Syngonium about TWO yrs ago from Walmart, the tag read, "Mini Syngonium" The leaves were no larger then a thumb nail, now they are between an inch, to an inch and a half long, still small....I was told before that there is no such thing as a mini :-|
    That they used a growth inhabiter on it???

I bought a reg but small pink Syngonium last spring and the leaves where kinda small, now they are much larger then the green mini one, even though they both get the same light, watering and fertilizer.

Is there such a thing as a "natural" mini Syngonium?

Thanks for any help :-D

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Bluewing0's Garden )

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't think there is a specific miniature version of the Syngonium but there are different sized cultivars on the market. Yours is probably a cross between two smaller types (a hybrid) and this why it's so different from your other one.

4. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Both are pretty. The colors look nice together. I especially like the red one.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Syngonium 'PIXIE' is a dwarf Syngonium I have read that it is the smallest they have developed but I can not find any info on it's size and care.

The label reading 'Mini' could be another instance of mislabeling a plant and that happens way too often :rolleyes:

6. Bluewing0

Bluewing0 Seedling

Yes, now that you mention it Eileen, what I have is most likely a cross of two smaller versions, I just didn't think of that! The story of it being a reg sized Syngonium given growth inhibitors seemed a little far fetched...

Daisybeans,
    The pink/red one was from Lowe's in a 4" for I believe, less then $5.I still see them from time to time.

At least I know now that there is such a thing of a smaller version of this plant.Pixie/Dwarf Syngonium sounds more like it. Good then, I'm happy to know my little gem will "stay" small.
    The care is the same as the larger version.

Thank you all,
    I appreciate the help!