Isn't there a member who specializes in Caudex-plants?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by cherylad, Jan 3, 2013.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Hubby's sister gave me seeds from her Buddha Belly Plant, (Jatropha podagrica).
    I've read they will sprout pretty easily... but just wanted to double check to see if anyone had any advice on starting these?

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Oh yes and me to. They scatter their seeds so they would land in other pots or on the ground and start themselves.

[​IMG]
    Jatropha podagrica

[​IMG]
    Jatropha podagrica

I have allot of fatplants. Some reproduce and some don't. Jatropha podagrica has not for me.

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Yes... Joe is the member I was trying to think of. And Barb I forgot that you also grow them.
    Did you do anything to prep the seed before sowing? Soak it? Or just stick it in some soil?

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

Sounds like you just broadcast them. Keep them warm and moist and they peep their little green fingers out of the ground in 2 weeks.

I have a few other fatplants that spread their seeds to all the other pots around them and grow beautiful babies all the time. When we first saw them and didn't know anything we used to pull them because we thought they were weeds. Well, When we found out we were junking fatplants we started selling then for $20.00 each. We about died to think of how many dollars we tossed. :eek:

7. waretrop

Hoping to find more "fatplants" lovers I will post my new bloom. new bloom.jpg

My Jatropha podagrica that I picked up last year. I was worried about it at the beginning but with time and patience it came through. I forgot to pay close attention to where plantlets could be growing. I have moved my plants around a bit. Since I have found this thread I will watch all the plants around where this plant was sitting to see if any new plants begin to grow.

I see Joe Caudex had not been on Gardenstew for a long time. Hoping to get his attention to see how he is doing these past few years.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

I have no idea what kind of plants these are !

9. waretrop

mart, They are caudiciforms. That's a plant that usually lives in the desert or dry areas that has the ability to store moisture in it's base.. The base is large and swollen and can be underground or sit above ground. The large base is so large it is callled a caudex..They all look different depending on what part of the world they come from. So I guess it is sort of like a potato.. It has a large bulbus base. There are people who collect these like they would african violets or begonias. I hope that helps you understand. They are actually really cool after you look into them.

Logan likes this.