It is not hoarding?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Jewell, Jun 15, 2024.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    A little weakness of mine (among many others) is houseplants. I only grow tough varieties. If they don’t perform or perform too well they get placed on the street as freebies. This is just a small portion of my “collection” in one portion of my home. Each window has a collection also. Much better than cloth curtains in my humble opinion :rolleyes:
    IMG_8990.jpeg IMG_8989.jpeg

What’s your collection look like? Would love to see.:)

Clay_22, Kay, Frank and 5 others like this.
  2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I have long admired your hoard of plants, especially in the winter.
    I wish that I had a hoard to show.
    Yours are looking really good.

Daniel W, Nate77 and Pacnorwest like this.
  3. Jewell

Thank you Sjoerd :)

Daniel W, Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Wow… you have some real beauties. Happy gardener equals happy plants.

Daniel W and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  5. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

That's a great collection. It gives a tropical atmosphere that must make winter much more pleasant.

My collection is odd. Almost all go outside for the summer. When winter is on the way, I choose what will go dormant in the garage and what goes in the sunroom. There is a plant stand filled with Schlumbergera, a couple of Poinsettias, a couple of orchids, too many geraniums but if they are blooming the go into the sunroom, a couple of mandevilla vines. If it's too much, I let the geraniums dry out and overwinter them in the garage, dormant. This winter I might keep some miniature roses there, if there isn't an insect problem with them.

I would give some away, if I knew someone who loves plants.

They are outside now of course, but here are most of the geraniums.

IMG_8239.jpeg

Jewell, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Mostly fuchias, geraniums odds nd ends that get moved outside from the house.
    IMG_0630.jpeg

Kay, Daniel W, Jewell and 2 others like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Daniel—What a nice zitje, Daniel. Plants, bench…and decent weather. That is very nice, mate.

Pac— that is a lovely plant corner, it makes me feel good just seeing it.

Daniel W, Jewell and Nate77 like this.
  8. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Sojerd your very nice comments are always welcome . Thank you. Have a good evening.

Daniel your sitting area is a great spot to sit back and look out over your garden and admire all your hard work just flourishing into a perfect picture of garden plants and flowers and a veggie - fruit harvest in just a few weeks.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
  9. Jewell

@Daniel W you have some interesting choices I will checkout. I live in a walkable neighborhood so I set unwanted plants by the mailbox with a free sign and they disappear. I do the same with things I know will quickly disappear. I’ve been doing it for years and saves a trip to the thrift store.

Love your bench. I believe in lots of places to sit and relax outside. It is wonderful having a park like setting right out our door :D

@Pacnorwest my word what a lovely place to take a long hot soak. Quite luxurious in my humble opinion. That must be heaven in the cold, cloudy months:like:

Sjoerd, Pacnorwest and Daniel W like this.
  10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Jewell It’s nice to melt aches and pains ~away. The jets messaging action takes the bumps out.
    The problem is getting out.

Your collection of houseplants looks like a small jungle. A beautiful one too. A lot to water. How do you keep them all looking so healthy?
    Over the years I have less and less house plants just to much to manage for me at this stage. I do keep up some larger palms, bird of paradise and tall Dracena fragrans . Too big to move out. They seem to like the corners in rooms . I can’t imagine my home without plants.

Jewell, Nate77 and Sjoerd like this.
  11. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Jewell, I am also a houseplant hoarder. This is my sunroom. Just one of many areas in the house with green things growing. I always have Golden Pothos cuttings rooting ( currently 4 vases) from the 10 lush plants I have. I love having the green growing around me and it’s a great outlet in winter when the gardens are dormant.
    I also haul a bunch outdoors for the summer. I IMG_3606.jpeg IMG_3605.jpeg

Clay_22, Frank, Jewell and 2 others like this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I lurve that little room, Kay. What a lovely collection of plants and things.

Jewell, Kay and Pacnorwest like this.
  13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Kay your plant collection has some nice choice plants , definitely matches your signature…”Girl with Green Thumbs”. :smt023
    That room is quite charming and welcoming for a quality, calming environment. :sete_005:

Daniel W, Jewell, Kay and 1 other person like this.
  14. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Thanks Sjoerd and Pac !
    It’s my little oasis. I used to have a weeping Fig tree in there, but it was so huge I talked my daughter into taking it. She currently has adopted 2 Fig trees, a tropical Hibiscus, and a split leaf Philodendron that outgrew our house LOL

Jewell and Pacnorwest like this.
  15. Jewell

@Kay what a lovely green oasis in your home. It is a special place with a great variety of plants. We all have our tried and true favorites. Yours is pothos. Mine is common philodendron. Many large pots of plants, but they are very easy plants. I give away lots of plants. Had several boxes of oregano I had to remove that went to the street. The last recipient asked if I had any houseplants. It was the perfect time to unload the huge poled green philodendron I’d been wanting to declutter.

I know how much space a Benjamin Ficus tree takes up. I had one for decades but like you found it like a huge piece of furniture and found a new home for it. You were lucky to find a good home for yours. I have three pots of gollum jade plant starts to repot for hitting the street. Somedays I can throw cuttings in the garbage but often find myself sticking them in soil.:(