Items that are toxic / dangerous to our pets

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Frank, Nov 21, 2012.

  1. Sakura

    Sakura New Seed

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2014
    Messages:
    24
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Midwest
    Like I said from what I understand things were mad when she had the Cadbury cream egg (possibly 4!) she did survive but she thinks she is one of us she is better with me she gets Whiney and my mom gets childish --Jen is NOT like any other dog I've been around or we've had and that mix causes some issues
     
  2. Sherry8

    Sherry8 I Love Birds!

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Messages:
    4,395
    Likes Received:
    1,819
    Location:
    Wisconsin...zone 5
    Great list and advice everyone....
     
  3. 2ofus

    2ofus Hardy Maple

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2014
    Messages:
    2,581
    Likes Received:
    1,562
    Location:
    Idaho Mountains
    Sherry, I'm glad your refreshed this post. It is very informative and has made me aware of some foods that I didn't think were harmful.
     
  4. CJay

    CJay In Flower

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2016
    Messages:
    299
    Likes Received:
    224
    Location:
    Iowa
    Good post. I'm glad you guys have it here.

    With the chocolate thing. While you should never feed it to your dogs you do need a little more information. One ounce per pound of body weight for milk chocolate.

    1/3 ounce per pound of body weight of dark chocolate

    1/9 ounce per pound of body weight for bakers chocolate.

    White chocolate? It is physically impossible for any dog to eat enough white chocolate to reach toxic levels. Your 15 pound dog would have to eat 200 pounds of it is less than 24 hours.

    If your 75 pound German shepherd eats a candy bar you're good.

    As an aside. Theobromine is toxic to every living thing. Its just that some animals metabolize it more efficiently. Humans metabolize it about twice as fast. So eating chocolate really can kill you.
     
    Frank likes this.



    Advertisement
  5. czywarte

    czywarte New Seed

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    London UK
    I've heard that zamioculcas might be poisonous to dogs if eaten. I've got both at home - and the dog, being all lovely she is, is really stupid.
    Can eating this plant kill her?
     
  6. toni

    toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2006
    Messages:
    19,224
    Likes Received:
    4,540
    Location:
    North Central Texas, Zone 8a
    Every article about the plant I have read said it can be toxic if ingested by animals or children. Toxic can be anything from getting a rash on sensitive skin to being killed by it. And there was one that strongly suggested that the grower should wear gloves when planting, transplanting, watering or handling the plant.
    So I guess putting it up where the dog can not reach it would be recommended.
     
  7. Hilda12

    Hilda12 New Seed

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2016
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    3
    I had a Peony plant in my home and my sister said that it is a toxic plant for pets. I had pet dog and thankfully I removed the plant before it could reach it.
     
  8. cuatro-gatos

    cuatro-gatos In Flower

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2007
    Messages:
    697
    Likes Received:
    94
    Location:
    Southern California
    I made a horrible mistake a few days ago. I decided to dump some old flavored coffee grounds (unbrewed)
    into my compost container. There was half a bag of vanilla and half a bag of chocolate flavored. The next day
    as the day grew warmer, I could really smell the chocolate and it dawned on me that if it ever rains here again
    and some of that chocolaty goodness should run out onto the patio, my dog might go for it. So I got out the shop vac and gingerly vacuumed out the majority of the grounds I could see. I'm sure there probably was not
    very much chocolate in there, but better safe than sorry.
     
  9. Gail-Steman

    Gail-Steman Young Pine

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2018
    Messages:
    2,183
    Likes Received:
    1,347
    Location:
    Staffordshire-UK Zone 4
    Rawhide Bones are Toxic besides Dangerous...my staffy loved them and I thought they was ok till the vets said he had Colitis and when I mentioned he had one of these daily to chew on they said it was those that had caused it ...I was totally shocked.

    https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/rawhide-dangerous-for-dogs/

     
  10. Gail-Steman

    Gail-Steman Young Pine

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2018
    Messages:
    2,183
    Likes Received:
    1,347
    Location:
    Staffordshire-UK Zone 4
    The following foods may be dangerous to your pet
    • Alcoholic beverages
    • Apple seeds
    • Apricot pits
    • Avocados
    • Cherry pits
    • Candy (particularly chocolate—which is toxic to dogs, cats, and ferrets—and any candy containing the toxic sweetener Xylitol)
    • Coffee (grounds, beans, and chocolate-covered espresso beans)
    • Garlic
    • Grapes
    • Gum (can cause blockages and sugar free gums may contain the toxic sweetener Xylitol)
    • Hops (used in home beer brewing)
    • Macadamia nuts
    • Moldy foods
    • Mushroom plants
    • Mustard seeds
    • Onions and onion powder
    • Peach pits
    • Potato leaves and stems (green parts)
    • Raisins
    • Rhubarb leaves
    • Salt
    • Tea (because it contains caffeine)
    • Tomato leaves and stems (green parts)
    • Walnuts
    • Xylitol (artificial sweetener that is toxic to pets)
    • Yeast dough
     
    Frank likes this.
  11. Gail-Steman

    Gail-Steman Young Pine

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2018
    Messages:
    2,183
    Likes Received:
    1,347
    Location:
    Staffordshire-UK Zone 4
    We all know dogs love to get their mouths on grass but ornamental grasses in your garden are also Toxic if your dog attempts those.

    According to the University of Arkansas and Mid Town Animal Clinic, pampas grass when ingested can cause sickness or death. Dogs can have a varied reaction to the poisonous pampas grass such as vomiting, drooling diarrhea, seizures or coma. Pets that eat poisonous plants often hide from their owners when they feel bad. Gardeners can look across their landscape at the ornamental grass to see if the pet has visited the area. If your pet displays any of these signs, you should take him to the vet.
     

Share This Page