Items that are toxic / dangerous to our pets

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Frank, Nov 21, 2012.

  1. Sakura

    Sakura New Seed

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2014
    Messages:
    24
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Midwest
    Like I said from what I understand things were mad when she had the Cadbury cream egg (possibly 4!) she did survive but she thinks she is one of us she is better with me she gets Whiney and my mom gets childish --Jen is NOT like any other dog I've been around or we've had and that mix causes some issues
     
    eileen likes this.
  2. Sherry8

    Sherry8 I Love Birds!

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Messages:
    4,395
    Likes Received:
    1,825
    Location:
    Wisconsin...zone 5
    Great list and advice everyone....
     
    eileen likes this.
  3. 2ofus

    2ofus Hardy Maple

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2014
    Messages:
    2,581
    Likes Received:
    1,567
    Location:
    Idaho Mountains
    Sherry, I'm glad your refreshed this post. It is very informative and has made me aware of some foods that I didn't think were harmful.
     
    eileen likes this.
  4. CJay

    CJay In Flower

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2016
    Messages:
    299
    Likes Received:
    228
    Location:
    Iowa
    Good post. I'm glad you guys have it here.

    With the chocolate thing. While you should never feed it to your dogs you do need a little more information. One ounce per pound of body weight for milk chocolate.

    1/3 ounce per pound of body weight of dark chocolate

    1/9 ounce per pound of body weight for bakers chocolate.

    White chocolate? It is physically impossible for any dog to eat enough white chocolate to reach toxic levels. Your 15 pound dog would have to eat 200 pounds of it is less than 24 hours.

    If your 75 pound German shepherd eats a candy bar you're good.

    As an aside. Theobromine is toxic to every living thing. Its just that some animals metabolize it more efficiently. Humans metabolize it about twice as fast. So eating chocolate really can kill you.
     
    eileen and Frank like this.



    Advertisement
  5. czywarte

    czywarte New Seed

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    London UK
    I've heard that zamioculcas might be poisonous to dogs if eaten. I've got both at home - and the dog, being all lovely she is, is really stupid.
    Can eating this plant kill her?
     
    eileen likes this.
  6. toni

    toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2006
    Messages:
    19,634
    Likes Received:
    5,062
    Location:
    North Central Texas, Zone 8a
    Every article about the plant I have read said it can be toxic if ingested by animals or children. Toxic can be anything from getting a rash on sensitive skin to being killed by it. And there was one that strongly suggested that the grower should wear gloves when planting, transplanting, watering or handling the plant.
    So I guess putting it up where the dog can not reach it would be recommended.
     
    eileen likes this.
  7. Hilda12

    Hilda12 New Seed

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2016
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    4
    I had a Peony plant in my home and my sister said that it is a toxic plant for pets. I had pet dog and thankfully I removed the plant before it could reach it.
     
    eileen likes this.
  8. cuatro-gatos

    cuatro-gatos In Flower

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2007
    Messages:
    798
    Likes Received:
    293
    Location:
    Southern California
    I made a horrible mistake a few days ago. I decided to dump some old flavored coffee grounds (unbrewed)
    into my compost container. There was half a bag of vanilla and half a bag of chocolate flavored. The next day
    as the day grew warmer, I could really smell the chocolate and it dawned on me that if it ever rains here again
    and some of that chocolaty goodness should run out onto the patio, my dog might go for it. So I got out the shop vac and gingerly vacuumed out the majority of the grounds I could see. I'm sure there probably was not
    very much chocolate in there, but better safe than sorry.
     
    Pacnorwest and eileen like this.
  9. Gail-Steman

    Gail-Steman Young Pine

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2018
    Messages:
    2,228
    Likes Received:
    1,527
    Location:
    Staffordshire-UK Zone 4
    Rawhide Bones are Toxic besides Dangerous...my staffy loved them and I thought they was ok till the vets said he had Colitis and when I mentioned he had one of these daily to chew on they said it was those that had caused it ...I was totally shocked.

    https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/rawhide-dangerous-for-dogs/

     
    Pacnorwest and eileen like this.
  10. Gail-Steman

    Gail-Steman Young Pine

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2018
    Messages:
    2,228
    Likes Received:
    1,527
    Location:
    Staffordshire-UK Zone 4
    The following foods may be dangerous to your pet
    • Alcoholic beverages
    • Apple seeds
    • Apricot pits
    • Avocados
    • Cherry pits
    • Candy (particularly chocolate—which is toxic to dogs, cats, and ferrets—and any candy containing the toxic sweetener Xylitol)
    • Coffee (grounds, beans, and chocolate-covered espresso beans)
    • Garlic
    • Grapes
    • Gum (can cause blockages and sugar free gums may contain the toxic sweetener Xylitol)
    • Hops (used in home beer brewing)
    • Macadamia nuts
    • Moldy foods
    • Mushroom plants
    • Mustard seeds
    • Onions and onion powder
    • Peach pits
    • Potato leaves and stems (green parts)
    • Raisins
    • Rhubarb leaves
    • Salt
    • Tea (because it contains caffeine)
    • Tomato leaves and stems (green parts)
    • Walnuts
    • Xylitol (artificial sweetener that is toxic to pets)
    • Yeast dough
     
  11. Gail-Steman

    Gail-Steman Young Pine

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2018
    Messages:
    2,228
    Likes Received:
    1,527
    Location:
    Staffordshire-UK Zone 4
    We all know dogs love to get their mouths on grass but ornamental grasses in your garden are also Toxic if your dog attempts those.

    According to the University of Arkansas and Mid Town Animal Clinic, pampas grass when ingested can cause sickness or death. Dogs can have a varied reaction to the poisonous pampas grass such as vomiting, drooling diarrhea, seizures or coma. Pets that eat poisonous plants often hide from their owners when they feel bad. Gardeners can look across their landscape at the ornamental grass to see if the pet has visited the area. If your pet displays any of these signs, you should take him to the vet.
     
    Pacnorwest and eileen like this.
  12. Tooty2shoes

    Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2011
    Messages:
    3,265
    Likes Received:
    1,513
    Location:
    Denmark, Wis.
    fluoride is poisonous to people and pets. Check this out. You should get a filter on your drinking water for you and your pet.
     
    Frank, Pacnorwest and eileen like this.
  13. Patricia R.

    Patricia R. New Seed

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2017
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    I fed my cat some fat from the whole cooking I've done all my life, should I stop now or have I built an immune system for my cat?
     

Share This Page