It's Coming! It's Here and Almost Finished

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by Jewell, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    CM, you are welcome to join us anytime.

Sjoerd, the clematis were a sale find, and are two nice sized plants of the Clematis X jackmanii, picture somewhere in post. They are both in the ground now at the south front corners. I found another nelly moser (I think) clematis seedling last summer so stuck it in the northwest corner. I am now exploring different ideas for removable trellises for the west wall clematis since we want full sun 3/4 of the year.

There are also two other different colored clematis close by. The white double clematis I may move to the shed. It is on the little fence next to the shed. Since they are all the type 3 we should get lots of blooms early and mid/late summer. The clematis planted at the base of the shed should provide great shade. If they don't do it fast enough in the spring I will plant runner beans in pots again. The beans provided great shade on the south windows and lots of good eating.

With all the flowers this summer we had regular hummingbirds. Have tried putting out feeders for them but they prefer flower nectar and pollen. I hope to see our native Anna's throughout the winter. Have my binoculars sitting by my chair. The garden flowers, big firs and trees provide enough food so the birds aren't interested in sunflower seeds until the weather gets colder. The grey squirrels and rats come no matter what.

I have already started collecting (2) doors, multiple windows, foundation bricks and lumber for my very own shed. I want to combine my woodworking, lounging and greenhouse idea into one small structure not much bigger than the first shack. Any ideas for foundation/flooring/planters if I want furniture, rugs. Living in a wet climate I have lots of research to do to figure out what will work.

I love finding a few things for a building as i can afford them. I want more eaves on the next shed for sitting dry outside than the current shed has (more of a porch). A lot will be determined by what used things show up. It is fun drawing up sketches and dreaming.

There is lots of leveling of ground, changing beds from woodland to garden, transplanting and planning. Have been collecting cardboard to ease some of the woodland bed transitions. Yep, nothing is going to happen to fast, but that is OK. Work takes up a whole lot of energy this time of year. It is nice to have something to look forward to creating.

2. sgmgarden

sgmgarden In Flower

Looks fantastic! Would love a place like that of mine to relax in!

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Can't wait to see the design your finally come up with. Sounds like it's going to be perfect!

4. CBlack0

CBlack0 New Seed

WOW!! This looks beautiful!! Love the before and after pics thanks for sharing Jewell.

Advertisement
  5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    One year later...clematis have covered a trellis on the east and west sides. Maybe next summer it will also cover the south side. We are still growing runner beans in pots on the south side for summer shade protection. (The success with runner beans in pots has led to creating a pot ghetto for more runner beans, peas and kale as I develop new beds for gardening in another part of the yard). The grill has been moved to this patio area since hubby grills year round.

I move out door furniture and potted plants around a lot. Hardly a season goes by without rearranging the outdoor living spaces. Much to hubby's chagrin I continue to update and rearrange his used furniture in the smoke shack as I find perfectly sized chairs, ottoman, tables, etc. How much fits comfortably in less than 60 sq ft.

[​IMG]
    From yard ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    One year later from house ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    The other seating ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    New chair for smoke shack ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Doll dress works well as an end table ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Great window for my succulents ;D ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )
    The little propane heater goes in this corner during the cold months.

6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Your shack is absolutely fabulous!!!

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Fantastic!! It looks amazing Jewell!

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

It's hard to believe its only taken a year to get it to look this awesome!

9. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I think it looks beautifully comfy and cozy. I could spend lots of time out there.

10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I just took another look at it Jewell & I still think it is absolutely fabulous!

11. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

WOW what a difference a year makes. It's hard to believe though that it's been only twelve months since you began. What a wonderful and inviting place your garden is Jewell. :-D

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Jewell, it is beautiful...just simply beautiful.
    Are you anything less than over the moon?
    hahaha.
    Well done, miss.