It's so nice to be out in the gardens again !

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Netty, May 31, 2015.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

With spring comes busy time around here. I am back to work full time, the kids have things going on, soccer begins, and there is all kinds of work to do around the house and yard. The only time of day I can make more time is in the morning, and so work begins at 6am - which means getting up at 4:30! It takes a bit of time before I get used to this new busy schedule and so I have been busy AND worn out! Yesterday, I finally had a day home for much needed time to get caught up in my gardens. The veggie garden has been planted, and now weeded.
    veggie 2.JPG
    veggie.JPG
    It's hard to see what's growing at this point, but there are peppers, tomatoes, beans, kale, peas, mixed lettuce greens, cucumbers, zucchini, watermelon, radish, herbs, cabbage, and beets. I am also trying a variety of red romaine lettuce this year. I have never seen it before!
    veggie 3.JPG
    I have also been picking a lot of Asparagus from the garden this year.
    IMG_8787 (800x600).jpg
    The Rhubarb is growing HUGE this year. I will go out later and pick some and pull the blooms off. It has to be over 4 feet tall!
    IMG_8815 (600x800).jpg
    There are some nice flowers in bloom out in the flower gardens as well
    The first Peony
    IMG_8814 (600x800).jpg
    Snow in Summer
    IMG_8828 (600x800).jpg
    A new (to me) Indigo - 'Dutch Chocolate'
    IMG_8821 (600x800).jpg
    Columbine
    IMG_8795 (600x800).jpg
    The 'White Feather' Hosta is almost at its peak
    IMG_8676.JPG
    Today, I will weed the back beds. These pictures don't show the weeds very well, but I assure you they are there. I will probably be able to fill the wheelbarrow again!
    May 30 (600x800).jpg
    garden.JPG
    No matter, I am just glad to be out in the gardens again!

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. KK Ng
      Replies:
      Views:

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Your gardens are gorgeous, and so neat! Getting up early is difficult, but it seems to be paying off for you. Early morning in the garden is sometimes the best time, isn't it?

4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

All of your gardens, vegetable and flowerbeds, look so neat and pretty. I like the way the beds are shaped and edged also.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Beautiful as always! Your gardens are amazing and beginning to show their summer promises. I love the sweeping vistas you have and the grassy paths to take in your flower beds. That white hosta is amazing almost translucent.

Cayuga Morning likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Beautiful indeed. I love your park like setting.
    Wish I had that rhubarb in my backyard. It's the one thing I can't grow here in Va. Just to hot for it.
    I bought some while in Ohio a couple weeks ago. Payed $3.99 a lb. Made one strawberry/rhubarb pie and froze the rest.

7. Netty

Marlingardener - the morning really IS the best part of the day!
    2ofus - Thank you!
    Jewell - The white Hosta is my most begged for plant ... it is the only one I have never divided. It is also the first one I ever ordered by mail!
    Donna - The rhubarb is an heirloom variety that I dug from an old farmhouse many years ago. It is the biggest growing one I have ever seen! Not sure if it is the topdressing of manure I give it each year?

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Looking good... as usual.
    Today is the first time in a long while that I'm excited to get home and tend to my beds and plants. Amazing what a few days of sunshine will do for the soul (and plants).

9. Netty

Cherylad - I am the same way! Then weather often dictates my mood ... I am happiest on those sunny days I can be out in my garden :)

10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Beautiful photos Netty. You have a lovely garden. I too like the sweep of your lawn with the shed & gardens. So nice. I also like your vegie garden in your lawn! I guess you just mow the grass paths? Do you have to fight with the grass to keep it from growing in the veg beds?

BTW, your garden is further along in Ontario than mine is in MA! I am zone 6b.

11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Everything looks so neat and well taken care off. ... I got rid of my rhubarb years ago. We were just not eating it...

12. Netty

Cayuga - I used to turn under the entire are in my veggie patch, the weeds always grew in so quickly and then it just looked sloppy to me. I just didn't have the time for all that weeding! I finally decided to let it grow in and just keep the 'strips' of soil to grow the veggies in. It is quick and easy to mow between the rows, and it makes it easier to improve the soil where needed. AND I'm not spending all my time weeding!

2ofus and cherylad like this.