It's Time For Leeks

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We planted our seeds back in the spring and it is now time to plant the leek plantlets.
    I took some fotos as my partner demonstrated.

--First I dug a furrow and used a dibber to make holes in the bottom of it. I also added a pinch of bone meal into the holes.
    [​IMG]

--I will place the plantlets into these holes, but first I need to do a couple of things: I tear off the tips of the roots.
    [​IMG]

--Next, I tear off about ¼ to ½ of the foliage.
    [​IMG]

--Here you can see what is left over from the rough handling of the plantlets.
    [​IMG]

--The final place for the prepared plantlets after watering-in the holes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now for some explanation, because I do not know what you know or don't know about this procedure.
    --Root tip and foliage removal. This seemingly rough step induces the plantlet to thicken the root ball and grow more foliage.
    --Furrows. I dig a furrow and then dibber holes in the bottom of it because as the plant grows it will need to be earthed-up. We eat the white portion of leeks and the deepness of the plant's "stalk" will give it a longer area of white, which is the portion we eat.
    Further, you leave the high soil edges to use to cover the plant stalk with up to the growpoint as it grows taller and taller. Just scrape the earth into the furrow.
    --The holes. You leave these open and let nature and waterings gradully fill them in time.
    -- I feed these plants with blood meal once and manure 'tea' about every two weeks until late fall/ early winter.

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Well told, Sjoerd! I can see that I did everything wrong when I tried to grow leek for the first time. They grew little, but tasted fairly good anyway! :D And they had a lot of white on them, so maybe I was too good at covering them up with dirt.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well I dunno Droopy...it sounds like you did it correctly to me. The whitened leaves are what you want. The more of that you have, the more sucessful you were. ;)

5. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

I'm so happy for the lesson on Leek growing. I plan to put some in the garden this fall and overwinter them. Keep the pics and lessons coming.

Gardengater

Advertisement
  6. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Looking great Sjoerd, I don't have any Leeks but i have been seriously concidering them.. i really just use my wild leeks mostly,,but i do love leeks. Now i know i'll do them right when i do plan to grow them,,,Thanks!

7. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Lovely Sjoerd. Your leeks are a dam size bigger than my skinny little things, but in mine went. I don't trim them but I do dib deep holes so just the tips are protruding. My variety was Musselbourgh and I planted about 40 which is enough for us.

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh...I have a real weakness for leeks. I hope that these turn out ok this year--they are a new type for me--'Herfstreuzen'.

I expect them to do alright, but if I were growing these for exhibition, I'd do it a bit differently.

9. flowerpower313

flowerpower313 Seedling

I started seed for the first time this yr. I have some starts but they are very small. I think I will put them in today. Even if they don't get big, it'll be good practice for next yr's crop. I have both American Flag and Blue Solaize varieties. The pics were extremely helpful. :) Thanks

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I'm glad some of you find my posting of how we did the leeks this year helpful. That's quite nice to hear.
    There are lots of different ways of doing leeks and it seems like they all work. I guess the difference is what one's goal is when it comes to planting them.

FLOWERPOWER-- I don't know those two types. I like to try different types of various veggies from time to time...what lead you to choose these two types specifically?

11. flowerpower313

flowerpower313 Seedling

I received both varieties in trades. :-D :stew1: Trading seed is a great way of trying new things you might not normally buy. In my experience, most gardeners have been VERY generous with seed.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh, ok. I was just curious. I ofteh choose the veggies that I grow based upon some kind of 'gardening factor'. like size, time of harvest, resistance.
    Trying new stuff is something that I like to do though, and exchanging seeds is an excellent way to do that, I agree.
    Do show some pics when you get the chance.