January melt down 2008

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Netty, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

All the warm weather and rain has caused a bit of "pooling" on my front yard again
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And with the snow gone, I found my veggie garden! What a tease!
    [​IMG]
    The temperature is 10°C right now and raining so the puddle will grow. But with colder weather around the corner we are hoping that this will leave us a nice size skating rink. :)

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good grief now that's what I'd call a lake!! :eek: I remember the flooding you had last year too Netty. I hope you get your skating rink but that the water subsides and leaves you to enjoy your garden again too.

4. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

Looks about the same here in NE Wisconsin. We've had rain for 3 days now, along with fog. Most of the snow is gone, the snowmobile trails have closed (they only opened for a few days), and the ice shanties are surrounded by water out on our area lakes. My driveway is all ice, and I'm glad I have 4-wheel drive. The Greenhouse Effect is definitely here.

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

My, it's flat and wet where you live. Wish you luck on your skating rink plans, and hope that water takes itself somewhere else, where it's wanted.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Kaseylib - all of our snow has now melted and the snowmobile trails are closed. What little ice there was on the Lake CAN'T be safe, yet people still try to go out on the Lake. There have been 3 deaths since New Years Day on our Lake, yet people continue to venture out. Is a few fresh fish for dinner worth it?
    Droopy - it looks flat, but in fact we are on the top of a big hill. I'm sure my yard will look much less flat once all my little trees start to grow larger.

7. Penny

Penny Young Pine

Geee Netty, our places look the same right now!!

8. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

The cold weather and wind today dried up a lot of our puddles. In fact, I just got back from ice-skating and it was great. The rain we've had the last few days melted all the snow on the ice and smoothed it over...with another cold day, the air pockets out there should get "cemented in", and make it great for skating. So, until spring, I'll have to be content on the ice and snow!

9. dirt2diamonds

dirt2diamonds In Flower

Wow, That is your space for gardening? The melt down is large, looks like a pond.

10. scareyut

scareyut New Seed

That does look like a great space. Wish I had one that large. With all the snow we have right now (and more on the way), I can't wait for spring to start that gardening again. Although won't be long before we start some seeds inside.

11. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Wow Netty

I sure could use some of your water now. It is no hot out here, only about once a month do we get a little shower that lasts only about two hours.

I do envy you your space though. Living in the city can be such a pain when one loves gardening.

With all the pooling and puddling, how long till you have your ice rink?

Also, when will you be able to start gardening again?

12. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Good grief I thought it was wet here until I saw this. All you need now is a flock of ducks.

13. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Oh dear Netty, I seem to remember that you had some flooding last year also?

14. Netty

Yes Frank, this is a yearly thing it seems. Although this year the milder weather and winds seem to have almost dried up our "skating rink". We get the same thing during spring meltdown too.
    Bethie - we have had Geese land there on occasion.
    Palm Tree-I won't be able to do any gardening until at least the end of April but that all depends on the weather.