Jumping Worms

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Cayuga Morning, Feb 18, 2022.

1. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Can someone explain or show how these worms jump

Cayuga Morning, Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Odi, they do not actually jump, as such. They sort of thrash back and forth with rhier head half, as I understand it.

Cayuga Morning and Melody Mc. like this.
  3. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I had to look them up to see what they were. They are in Canada now, but only certain areas towards the east. I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

@Beeker I only just now saw your posting about DE for JW.. So you've either bought some... Or haven't. My understanding is that the jury is still out on diatomaceous earth for control of jumping worms. I've been throwing some into my compost pile just for good measure.

I have been hearing that tea tree meal works. But of course there's a run on it now & is quite expensive.

Solarizing purchased compost is supposed to work.

Advertisement
  5. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

@Cayuga Morning - I plan to purchase compost, etc. a year in advance and let them solarize for a full summer from now on and use the diatomaceous earth for only this year and the next year or two. That should take care of it. At the end of each season, I'll check the JW population with the mustard solution and see what comes wriggling to the surface. That should give me an idea on whether or not my actions are effective.

@Jerry Sullivan - As far as it goes with my yard and gardens, crabgrass thrives with these worms. I don't see much else doing well where there is a large population.

Something came along and ate the cooked worms off the driveway overnight. Perhaps skunks? All I know is I threw about a dozen jumping worms onto the paved driveway and watched them cook while I continued working in the garden. They were all dead and cooked by the time I finished. I can't imagine they softened and were able to reanimate and slither away. Some nocturnal critter must have picked them up. Only one small worm was left. I guess it was too small to be considered worth the effort.
    Fried worms, anyone?

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  6. Cayuga Morning

Beeker, i think you only need to get the temps up to 105° for 3 days or so.

That's good news about something eating them.

I've been reading that they are not good to feed to chickens as these worms concentrate heavy metals. But does all soil have heavy metals? I know some have arsenic naturally. Soils close to highways might have lead. But how common are heavy metals in run of the mill soil?
    @Jerry Sullivan do you know?

7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Right off the top of my head without reading a 10 page report from the EPA would be : what does the local water department say? What elements do they remove and what remains. I would think local water supplies mirror what is present in the soil.

Jerry

Sjoerd and Cayuga Morning like this.
  8. Cayuga Morning