Jungle building of China!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by S-H, Sep 17, 2020.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Unfortunately, it's a disaster... As the gardens need to be very well maintained. Or else overgrown plants and trees are likely to damage the structure.

And on top this, there is the mosquito infestation issue - Which unfortunately has already made the building unlivable...

However, nobody would have known about these unforseen circumstances. If nobody had tried it out first, on a mega scale.

Read all about it here below.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...sing-project-attracted-plagues-mosquitos.html

Maybe it's not as bad as things are in reality. As in the recent years, I have both witnessed as well as experienced it myself first hand - How the media in the West is nowadays trying to move Heaven and Earth, just to find something negative in China, (as well as in my own country too). While in reality things aren't always like what's being reported...

Still, it is a very interesting concept, which I am glad somebody tried out. So even if not completely successful, I'm sure architects will learn from the oversights in this project - From which better designed buildings of similar themes will be built later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Well,, its interesting but why are they building like that ?

Growingpains and S-H like this.
  4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Excellent question @mart

I guess the short answer is, that people living in apartments unfortunately can't enjoy horticulture. At least not to the level we can. So this was their way of bringing gardening closer to them! Which would also explain why all the apartments got sold out instantly! As everyone likes to live near plants and trees. Unfortunately they didn't take into account the mosquito infestation problem - Which is why the project has now failed. But the urge to live with greenery has always been a very strong human urge, which isn't so easily suppressed...

The detailed answer is - Well, communism everywhere in the world favors apartment blocks... They see homes as luxuries only the very wealthy can afford - And in communist philosophy, if you are wealthy, (even if just 5% more well off then the average). They see you with suspicion, as everyone would assume that you must have been doing something wrong, (something capitalist in nature)...

Such has always been the communist mindset everywhere. But now China has totally transformed in the last 25 years. Making their society in the urban areas completely indistinguishable (and slightly better) from any other place in the developed world - However some old habits never die, and become part of their mindset and culture, (for all time)...

I once asked a very knowledgeable Chinese gentleman about this exact same thing. His answer was that cities unfortunately get started where markets get established. And all markets (to begin with) are always set up by farmers who wish the trade or barter whatever they would grow on their own land. Therefore markets are always very near highly fertile land.

Now one thing leads to another, and so eventually commerce forces the area to become a small business town. Where other types of traders and craftsmen also come and set up their shops.

That is how a 100 or so years later, everything turns into a city. Which unfortunately starts to mercilessly encroach over very productive farmland... So if this trend continues, then a country will continue to lose more and more of it's farmland. And thus might one day unintentionally become enslaved to other capitalist countries - Who would be thriving by exporting their food to China, (at the price they would get to decide).

Which is why, it is the policy of the Chinese communist party. To construct high rise apartment blocks everywhere, (favoring very densely populated cities) - Thus saving valuable land, and also making sure that everyone has an equal standard of living.

So that is what the Chinese communist party mindset is actually like... Makes some sense also, if you continue to think about it for a while. But today even the Chinese people themselves don't take communism very seriously. However their design and construction philosophies are still very heavily influenced by the mindset of the party. Because today it's now a part of their culture and upbringing.

Historically as well, China hasn't had the best farmland, neither a favorable climate, (in comparison to the ratio of other countries). Many places in China could only produce just 1 crop per year... Now it's different, as they have built a lot of rain catchment dams nearly everywhere. But periodic famines were once a routine part of life for them in the past.

Where in my country, there are places which can easily give 5 crops each year...

This actually reflects in the language and sentence structure as well. Like whenever we in Pakistan greet each other, we always say: How are you feeling today? Not too tired I hope, well rested I assume, (meaning not tired from working in the fields).

In the West it's always, how are you doing today?

While in China, they usually greet each other by saying, have you eaten yet? Not hungry I hope. But if so, come let's share some food together...

In India it's slightly different. As they greet each other by saying, how are you feeling today? Not sick with anything I hope. But if unwell, would you like to rest a little?

In the Middle East it's often, how was your journey? No trouble during your travel I hope.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Interesting S-H.

Logan and S-H like this.

Advertisement
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Culture of mainland China is indeed a fascinating one, truly unlike any other in the entire world. Their sense of national unity and pride can easily kick in without much effort. And once they get focused on something, they are impossible to divide or distract. As for them their nation stand for everything!

Logan likes this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

that is an awesome concept. If I had to live in town I would be a bit more content if I could garden at least somewhat. and this wouldn't require any large heavy equipment. No corn for me though this way. bummer.

Logan and S-H like this.
  8. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Gorgeous!

S-H likes this.
  9. albertvadas

albertvadas New Seed

It looks so nice.

S-H likes this.
  10. albertvadas

albertvadas New Seed

I admire such structures. It always seemed to me that this is something fabulous and unreal. For example, I recently built a new house. But there is no one specific option that everyone will like without exception. Each person presents it in his own way, trying to realize all his ideas. As a rule, first of all people think about the location of their ideal home. Most often, the "dream house" is mentioned near the sea coast, picturesque mountains or a dense forest. For some, the country, city or even the area where a person would like to build his "fortress"is important. But these are not so much big problems in fact, as buying high-quality building materials. My friend advised me to contact a construction company who introduced me to the forests.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    S-H likes this.
  11. Nehardob

Nehardob New Seed

That's great! It is very far that this project has not been implemented to the end because these houses are really interesting. I tried to do something similar with my house, but it didn't work out. Then I sold flagshipbuilders.net and went to China. It's a shame that such projects usually remain only projects and turn out to be too unprofitable for permanent use. It would be cool to see such eco houses in New York or Tokyo. It would be a victory for ecology.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    S-H likes this.
  12. Lillium_Lover

Lillium_Lover Seedling

I watched a special on the Smithsonian channel about this type of structure, though it was kind of crazy, with all the plants and trees.. get so heavy. Its a great concept, just wish it worked out better for them.
    Interesting read, thank you.

S-H likes this.
  13. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Mosquitos are a bother, but with contained gardening I would have hoped they could have solved the problems with mosquito dunks, water control or other natural balancing options. Enlightening residents on gardening technics could have been an option maybe?
    Definitely need hired Maintenance gardeners for the buildings. Must be a very temperate climate.

Different complex with plants

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    S-H likes this.
  14. LuciaHogan

LuciaHogan New Seed

It's true that large-scale projects like the jungle building in China can face unexpected challenges. Maintenance and pest issues can indeed be quite daunting. I appreciate your perspective on media portrayal; sometimes, situations are blown out of proportion. It's important to get a balanced view.
    On a different note, if you ever find yourself in need of mortgage-related advice or services, you might want to consider consulting a Mortgage Broker in Altrincham. They can provide valuable insights and assistance with your financial goals. Wishing you a great day!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
    S-H likes this.
  15. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

The weight of soil and water has a huge impact on the building infrastructure and foundation.

S-H likes this.
  16. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I just realized something! All of this can actually be thought of as a good training exercise for humanity to one day take plants and trees out with us elsewhere in our solar system - And someday beyond that as well, on space stations which would be like a stand-alone self-sufficient biosphere of it's own.

Of course, that's in the future. However right now Chinese are already working on this concept - Exploring possibilities making human colonies in space self-sufficient when it comes to food production.

Call me crazy if you will, but I think people always need to have a connection with nature.

The very concept of a terrarium too was created to make sure plants would survive on ships. It was the British royal navy actually, which pioneered this, as they were obsessed with collecting plants and tree saplings from all over the world - To add in the collection of their botanical gardens.

It's all got a lot to do with our urge, to be around nature. We are just not happy without it. So we will find innovative ways to have them around us.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
    Pacnorwest likes this.