Junque from the 37.5 mile long garage sale

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by toni, Apr 21, 2014.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Starting with the assorted stuff....
    A green metal lid that will be attached to the fence to be a butterfly puddle. Yet another mail box, this one to be a flower pot out back. A white w/red trim enamel bowl and lid.
    The metal arch is a spare tire cover, that will be used to give some tall flowers a place to lean on.
    [​IMG]
    Asst junque ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

More assorted...top dark thing sticks into the ground to hold a large pole for whatever you want to hang, in this case it will be a bird feeder. Three metal shelf brackets, you can never have too many of these. On the left is a small metal scoop (I got for free when I bought the metal bowl in the first photo) to use in the bird seed bucket. A bundle of 4 2"square legs for whenever I might need something to have legs.
    [​IMG]
    more assorted stuff ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

A 9' length of old garden fencing to become lattice for Morning Glories.
    [​IMG]
    fencing ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

A pretty metal piece to use on a wall or somewhere.
    [​IMG]
    pretty metal piece ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

A hose guard that really caught the attention of several other women who mumbled in passing that they wish they had seen it first. hehehehe
    [​IMG]
    hose guard ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Now for my 4 most favorite finds of the weekend.

A smallish door I can paint on.
    [​IMG]
    Door for painting ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Top half of a real milk can for a planter.
    [​IMG]
    planter ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

I got 4 of these shutters. They are about 5' tall and 11" wide. Two will become shelves for decorative things in my garden shed (when it's built) and two will cover a narrow window that need covering. We bought 2 of them Saturday, then all this morning I was thinking about the other pair the vendor had so we went back to his spot just as he was packing up to go home. He had the other pair and was happy to not have to carry them back home. He found them at a house demolition in Arkansas and bought all 8 of them. He is keeping the other four himself.
    [​IMG]
    shutter with 3 more behind it ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

And #1
    The young woman I bought this from said she could hardly wait to tell her Mom that it had sold. When her Mom first saw it she just didn't believe that anyone would ever want it. When I bought it she said first chance she got she was going to call her Mom and tell about it.
    We stopped back by on the way out of the area this afternoon so I could ask her what her Mom said. She had called her Mom last night and only had to say Mom, Guess What...her Mom said you have got to be kidding, someone actually bought it?? She said I told you there was someone else who would love it as much as I do.
    Those are the shutters behind it so it shows up better and the vendor put the seat on it....Perfect seat for it.

And I have a feeling you all are going to like it too.
    [​IMG]
    Chair ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. toni
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. toni
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Great finds. All will be well used in there next life. Can't wait to see them all set up. Wish I could find an old gate like the one you found. Have been wanting one for the garden area. :stew2: :stew2:

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Wow, That is a long garage sale. I could get lost in one of those. You sure get some good stuff. I can't wait to see what you do with it. Please post pictures soon....?

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

You find some of the best stuff! And have the foresight to reuse them. I think my favs are the hose guide and chair. Way to go!

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I love the way you did a top 4 countdown Toni :D That chair is awesome. In fact I think it's more of a throne.

I also really like the milk can planter. Having grown up with them it is something that would catch my eye also.

7. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Great finds again Toni.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I wonder if I have anything that would prise those shutters away from you - I instantly saw a use for them here. I could always manage to slip the hose guard into a pocket when you weren't watching but the churn would need to be removed under cover of darkness!! ;)
    Can you guess that I'm impressed with the things you found Toni? :D

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Great finds Toni! My favorite is the garden gate too :)

10. Green Fingers

Green Fingers Seedling

Toni if the milk can and the metal scoop ever go missing you know where to look for them, all the way up to Northern Virginia ;)... Great finds!

waretrop likes this.
  11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well, I need to be on the lookout for low flying British Airways planes and cars with Virginia tags on them. Time to tighten security around here. :eek:

There were definitely more vendors this time than in Fall of 2012 when we went the first time. We got dates confused and missed last April and then last fall I was a little 'under the weather' so we didn't get to go. I try not to think about what I missed those two times.

I really didn't have any specific items I was looking for except possibly a metal trough like Cheryl has so I could make a water feature out back. But I realized that the trough would be larger than the bed of our small Chevy S-10 pickup so then I had no plans at all.
    In walking around all those places for three days I realized that I already had many of the same things the vendors were selling so I had to go for the unusual.
    I kept myself on a tight budget, didn't waste money on a bunch of small things that were cute but used it for the large things that I really wanted but even then I knew what I would pay so sometimes I had to walk away.

There were a couple things I would have like to have but the vendors had their prices way too high. We went back by them on Sunday when everyone was packing up but those two had already left...so it wasn't meant to be. I was thrilled that we caught the vendor with the shutters before he left.

The gate looking piece is a miniature, not a full size. I would LOVE to have a full size gate like that but I didn't see any this time.

The event is called Antiques Alley and calls itself a 37.5 mile long garage sale but it's not a continuous garage sale. Along the route, farmers and home owners rent space in their fields or front yard for vendors to set up, some even have space for off road parking. Some home owners along the route set up their own garage sale too. You really don't have to drive very far between the large sites, maybe a half a mile at most. It is definitely a three day event, many vendors are not there on Friday so you have to go back on Saturday to check the new ones out, then Sunday is closing up and you can find most everything 50% off. Many vendors do not want to cut prices, so they leave Saturday evening.

Green Fingers likes this.
  12. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Awesome finds! Please post pics as you give them new life.

13. sricha7539

sricha7539 New Seed

Great pics! Please post after pic !!!

14. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Wow!!! Wonderful finds ... I like the hose guard and the milk can most :)