Junquing in Cedar Pollen country

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by toni, Dec 20, 2017.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

A couple of weekends ago we went south just a few miles and did some junquing, it's been a difficult few months so the diversion was needed. The only problem was that because of the lack of rain in weeks there, the Cedar pollen was so heavy you could probably see it if we had thought about looking. Anyway I came home with a few goodies and hubby and I have been full of pollen. But we are getting better.

The smalling red storage thingy will be put in my backyard shed/getaway when it is built next Spring. The small green dustpan (small enough to have been in a little girls kitchen set years ago) and the long handled pot will come in handy and the odd looking thing sitting on top turned out to be a minnow scoop you hook it to the back of the boat and drag it through the water as you fish so it collects minnows for you.

Oh and the cat is a very curious Wizard. No telling what smells he was getting from all those pieces.
    Junque.JPG

Frank and eileen like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Looks as though Wizard has seen a minnow scoop before and is hoping you'll be going fishing for him. ;)

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Neat! A minnow scoop? Never seen one of those before! What are you going to do with it?

5. toni

It's going to hang from a tree as yard art. I had first thought a bird feeder but the holes are way too tiny for anything but millet and I don't really want millet growing everywhere.

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I like the long handled pot Toni. I can already think of uses for it around our yard :D Thanks for your continued junque postings!

7. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Neat stuff! I LOVE finding FINDS!

8. toni

Annnnnnnd, we took off this mornng to spend the day on our favorite Junquing trip path...Fort Worth to Grandbury. I have some new 'stuff' that I will take photos of tomorrow and get posted then.

Islandlife likes this.
  9. mart

mart Strong Ash

I like the long handled pot Toni. I can already think of uses for it around our yard :D Thanks for your continued junque postings!

That long handled pot is actually an enameled water dipper ! We had one just like it. Some here used to have wells for drinking water. It was also used for dipping fat/lard to put in containers at hog killing time.

10. toni

I have three of the dippers that I use a lot out in the garden....none for drinking out of except the plants don't seem to mind them.:)

11. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

That is some great items! I think the red 'thingy' is for storing onions, turnips and such. My grandmother had a small dustpan similar to yours and she used it, and a small brush, to clean crumbs of the table and cutting board.

12. toni

I wondered if that might have been it's original use. Not sure what it will become now but most of what I buy on those trips have no immediate purpose but eventually they will tell me what they came home with me for.

2ofus likes this.