Junquing over Valentine Day weekend

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by toni, Feb 17, 2015.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I really didn't have a plan of attack as usual when embarking on a junquing trip, just needed to replenish my stock as quite are few things in my room are earmarked for new vignettes out back this Spring.

Back left, dark tray is an insert from an old tool box. I am going to put trowels, cutters, etc in it, slide it into one of the mail boxes I have for holding tools and be able to take it around the yard with me, hopefully to cut back on the number of times I have to stand in the middle of the yard and wonder where the heck I left the cutters, or my trowel or my gloves.
    The sifter will be mounted in the garden room to hold a ball of twine for easy dispensing.
    The metal sieve will hold peanuts out back for the Bllue Jays and Squirrels.
    The metal bowl is for sedum and the two small trays are to be under pots as water catchers.
    The flower frog speaks for itself.
    The long things with clips are from a store fixture and will be used to hold something.
    A hand rake for close quarters and a couple of shelf brackets.
    Junk.asst.JPG

While laying mulch out front last week I had to throw away several things I had been using for path makers so these will replace some of them. The one on the left will probably have some snappy saying painted on it, the little thing in front is part of an old rake and the rusty metal on the side is the top of an old chicken feeder.
    Junk.pathmarkers.JPG

I have frequently heard of Hollyhocks being called "The Outhouse Flower" by the early settlers so women could ask where the outhouse was without being embarrassed. They would just ask to see the Hollyhock bed. A few years ago I planted three Hollyhocks in the front corner and all died.....but did they???? One has survived and after all this time it has come up and is almost 10" tall now, so this will be placed near it.
    Junk.outhouse.JPG

I really love this little bench. It's 24" long and almost 24" tall and will hold stuff out in the yard. Probably some Sedum and knick-knacks
    Junk.bench.JPG

And this is a pair of shutters without the shutter slats, chicken wire has been stapled to the back, after sealing it I think it will become a trellis for a fragrant Sweet Pea vine.
    Junk.frame.JPG

Frank and stratsmom like this.
  2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Okay... I don't see a frog???
    But I love the other stuff. Especially that bench and the shutters.
    Your outhouse birdhouse reminds me of one hubby built for my brother. Cute!

4. toni

It's between the shelf bracket and metal trays, just a tiny thing. Everytime I see one on our trips I think I could use one of those but never buy it. This time Randy put it in my hand so he wouldn't have to keep hearing me say "darn, I could really use a flower frog right now"

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

It's not really a froggy frog, its more like a squat cage to hold flower stems in an arrangement. I have a metal one that's heavy as all get out, and another that I use more often that is more domed, and made of plastic except for the metal base. Flower frogs do not croak . . . .

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

I've never heard of a flower frog. Toni can you post a close up of it?

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You've obviously had a great junquing week-end Toni. So many useful and decorative items that it's hard to pick a favourite from amongst them. The little bench really appeals to me as does the outhouse bird box, shutters and brackets. :)

8. toni

Mine is all metal, old and about 2"tall x 3" wide. I got the small one to fit into more vases.
    Junk.FlowerFrog.JPG

cherylad likes this.
  9. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Nice finds again Toni. I could find a use for all in the gardens.

10. cherylad

Thanks Toni. Now if I see one I'll know what it is and how to use it.