Just advice on Computer Virus protection......

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by bsewnsew, Dec 11, 2007.

1. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

norton

I had norton on my computer ..It ran out ..Cheated me and said a year ....The year was 9 months.

And not one time when it checked my computer, did it ever catch any thing>> That made me think it did nothing.

Ever hear of ZOne Alarm? I been reading on it.

2. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I have zone alarm. Dan installed it for me. It's a firewall and pops up if it thinks something is new and asks you if you want it to let it through. dooley

3. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

zonealarm

I am thinking of using that one. Was yours $39.99

b

4. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Come to think of it, my NAV was 9 months instead of a year, but I hadn't done any research and didn't want to be without! Really got screwed :rolleyes:

Advertisement
  5. dooley

You can download zone alarm free if you aren't commercial and it's just for personal use. dooley

6. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Thanks Dooley, that is good to know. So when NAV starts sending me messages that it is time to renew, I will start using Zone Alarm. 'Cause I'm sure not commercial ... anything :rolleyes:

7. dirt2diamonds

dirt2diamonds In Flower

I am not computer competent so my kids check that stuff out for me. I know once upon a time I had Norton. I am not sure now, but my vista keeps saying that it does not detect any viruses

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hello B,

Say, if you are planning to stop using Norton, and use a different type of anti-virus software...I would suggest that tou download the norton removal tool (free) to remove it as completely as you can.

9. dooley

Norton came as a trial when I bought my computer and Dan had to take it off several times before it quit reloading itself. It would be gone and then it would be back. I don't know what he finally did but it's gone now. dooley

10. marcusa007

marcusa007 New Seed

I use avast, it is free for personal use. It auto updates software and database and scans all incoming mails as well as files added to you rcomputer.

11. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Incidentally, I got a message from NAV this week about my protection needing to be updated. So I downloaded the updates, and computer started acting like 'molasses running up hill'.So slow, I was about ready to stick my fist through the monitor :rolleyes: It did no good to C+A+D, so I powered battery back-up off!! Had to do that several times. Put a call in for my computer guru. He said NAV is very 'hoggish' with the amount of space they take up adding extra things you don't really see or need. So I removed it and googled AVG 'Free download'. Computer is running faster than a spinning top :D So no more NAV for me. Also a friend spent $70.00 with NAV 2 weeks ago and has not been able to get her emails. Her ISP checked their end, and said to contact NAV. They had to remove and re-install her virus protection twice this morning. She isn't happy with them at all either :(

12. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

KG it is a standard (or at least should be) to power off your computer by holding down the power button for a few seconds. That way you don't have to wait for the battery power to die down. Try it!

13. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Frank, the power button didn't do anything. I just failed to mention that :oops:

14. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Heather had a virus get through Nortons on a trojan is what was told them by the shop it was taken to .His mothers work computer got the same one through hers.Crashed both of them.I use Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007.I will be changing to AVG when this one expires.

15. petunia

petunia Young Pine

Back to my lap top as My computer is not working at the moment. Something with an norton virus system loaded itself and runs everything very slowly or not at all. As I was just reading over these last few post I have to say Thankyou to Sjoerd for suggesting the removal tool for norten. My hubby went into google and found it and is now trying to see if it works. Will let you know shortly if I get back on my computer.