Kaleidoscope flower?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by cuatro-gatos, Jan 9, 2014.

1. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Has anyone had any experience growing a bulb with the common name of Kaleidoscope flower? I've lost the ID tag, the slender leaves look like baby gladiola plants. It did not come up in the search engine here.
    Sorry I do not have a picture.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't know of a specific flowering bulb by that name but I know that you can buy tulip and hyacinth bulbs in a pack that go by the name of Kaleidoscope.

There is an orchid that goes by that name though. The kaleidoscope orchid also known as Baldan's kaleidoscope that may be similar to what you are looking for.

4. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

I may just have to wait until it sends up a flower.
    Thank you.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have been google searching for any plant with Kaleidoscope in it, be that a common name or 'Cultivar' and have only found the Rose, Hyacinth and Orchid.

Did the tag actually have the word Kaleidoscope on it? Or was it a name someone else used for it? Plant ID tags don't usually have a common name on them since those names can be exclusive to certain areas of the country and some plants have multiple common names.
    A 'Cultivar' name will sometimes be shown in single quotes but most often is just part of the name....second word in the name if it is a cultivar of the Genus...third word in the name if it is a cultivar of the Species.

Be sure to show us photos of the leaves as they come up and definitely of the bloom....my curiousity is peaked. ;)