Kitchen sinks... what kind do you have?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by carolyn, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Sounds great Carolyn ... I can't wait to see it!

2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, you are going to love it--all one piece, no grout, easy cleaning! We ordered much the same thing when we redid the bathroom, and it's the best thing. Please post a photo when it's installed and you stop dancing around the kitchen yelling, "Whooopppeeeee!"

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well, My project is almost finished. The cabinets are in... 100_1842.JPG 100_1842.JPG 100_1840.JPG
    The countertops were installed today, the appliances came this past week, we had a few mishaps... such as someone screwed a screw through the electric wire yesterday... oops. I found that this morning when the vacuum wouldn't work... emergency electrician call first thing.
    . 100_1843.JPG counter tops are on....
    100_1848.JPG My single tub sink...
    100_1847.JPG The floating island is to the left of the center island. I can move it to where I need it. It is on casters.
    100_1849.JPG Since I bake so much for my markets I needed 2 ovens. I was thinking of a double wall unit and a cook top. The more I looked the less economical the thought was. I needed counter space along with oven space so I went on the hunt for two ranges. One is a true cooktop tange the other more of a traditional slide in range. Not a lot of difference, but the cooktop range fits right into and rests on the counter the other has a bit if a rim around the top and doesn't rest on the counter.
    I need to finish the backsplash which will be tile and the faucet... then I think we are done.

stratsmom and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Very spiffy furnishings, C.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Looks fabulous! I like the idea of the floating island too, very handy when busy in the kitchen.

6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Absolutely lovely, and so well-designed! Carolyn, you are going to have so much fun in that kitchen:smt026.
    There was a grubby cook-top here when we moved. I found Cerama-brite and after a few applications the cook-top was like new. You may want to try it for cleaning.
    That sink is a dream--handsome and will be easily cleaned. You have done very well!

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thanks Sjoerd and Netty.
    Jane I am absolutely delighted with the kitchen. Last night we put the faucet, drain and plumbing in... I LOVE it. It is a touch technology faucet. Tap it on and tap it off... no touching the handle with grubby/dirty/doughy hands. Awesome. 100_1852.JPG the light on the front of the faucet base indicates the water temperature, too. Red for hot and blue for cold and purple for warm...

Today I am working on the tile backsplash.
    100_1850.JPG
    I am almost finished.

Sjoerd and marlingardener like this.
  8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

It looks very nice indeed! God job. I'd love a kitchen like that. Enjoy it.

9. Netty

Love it! The faucet would stay so much cleaner!!

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

yah... the faucet... already dripping and we are getting a new solenoid for it....I hope this wasn't a froo froo waste of money. It was great yesterday but this morning it started dripping. It shuts off with the handle but not the touch technology. I was doing the tiling around the counters and I really could have used it today, but I had to keep wiping the whole darn thing.
    100_1853.JPG 100_1854.JPG

so, I am done with the tiling and after this is dry I will put a grout and sealant on it .. Whoopee!!!! almost there.

The original question about the sink, though... I love this new one basin sink. It is deep and wide.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    Sjoerd likes this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Your kitchen is a pretty as a picture! That faucet is indeed very flash. Never seen one like that.

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Why thank you, Sjoerd. For not having a picture to work with and just kind of "winging it" I think it is coming out well. I just happened to see this faucet in a catalog and thought it was ideal for me. I liked the color and that it was one single pull down sprayer instead of another thing to wipe and keep clean. I have enough to do as it is... cleaning extra surfaces isn't in my schedule. I am not sure how similar designs are there... such as the back splash... ours is typically a 4" high backsplash that is often times is wide enough to collect grunge and dust (if you don't cook a lot), flour, splatters etc... always needing wiped. This time I elected to have a flat surface counter without a backsplash and tiled the wall myself to eliminate the extra width of the backsplash (giving me an extra 1" of counter depth) and the extra ledge to wipe. It isn't perfect, but I think it will be fine. I like it each time I glance at it. If I was still deciding each time I looked at it I think it would mean I was not going to be happy with it... no matter how long I gave myself to decide.
    I can grout the tile this afternoon and get the paper off my counters.

So now it is grouted... several hours later.
    100_1855.JPG 100_1857.JPG

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    Sjoerd likes this.
  13. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Tell us, how do you like it??

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well, I made supper tonight and I loved every minute of my new kitchen... I just need to find all my tools and appliances and decide where to put some of them yet. I couldn't find the stick part of my stick blender tonight... I know it is here somewhere, I just couldn't find where until after I started unloading the dishwasher... well, lookie there! I just happened to find it in the dishwasher... which is NOT where I normally put it. I wash it by hand and put it away, but maybe one of my kids was helping or maybe I washed it and just sat it on the rack to dry...
    Tomorrow I will finish the caulking and then the back splash will be done. YAY!

15. Netty

Looking great Carolyn! And the best part of the project is yet to come ... when its all done and you can put things away and clean up! It is such a good feeling to step back and admire the finished project :)