Kitchen tools

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by marlingardener, Feb 23, 2021.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Again, this isn't about a recipe, but about the tools we use to prepare a recipe.
    What kitchen tools are absolutely essential for you?
    I have three sizes of whisks and need each. I have a pair of pliers (just like you'd find in your tool chest) for pulling off the integument from pork ribs or grabbing those pesky little salmon bones. Anyone else have three pairs of tongs, each of different length?
    So, what is your kitchen harboring?

Logan likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Oh My ! Did you have to ask ? You would be surprised ! I have three or four drawers of " might need" items !

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Where to start? OK here goes - wooden spoons, scissors, bread knife and a couple of large kitchen knives, vegetable knife, bowls, pie dishes, hand whisk, table spoon. I could go on and on!! Nothing fancy here just every day items that are always close to hand.

Logan and marlingardener like this.
  5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Scissors of multiple sizes for cutting meat, veggies and other things I might use a knife for. Different sizes, materials and types of spatulas also a must.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Jewell, how could I have forgotten to mention spatulas? Absolutely essential. Also, tongs. I have four sizes, all metal and use them daily.

Logan likes this.
  7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I love my pampered chef garlic press. Works amazing and is easy to clean.
    I'm not sure if this is considered a kitchen 'tool', but I recently brought home my moms sandwich press and it is now used almost daily in my house.

8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I love my bread machine and use it at least twice a week. I also love our black iron frying pans.

Logan, Netty and Sjoerd like this.
  9. mart

mart Strong Ash

Maybe we should expand this thread,, what new uses have you found for kitchen utensils !
    I use the juicer like for a bar for juicing ginger into a sauce rather than mincing ! And a melon baller for meatballs for spaghetti !

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mart, what a good idea --what new uses have you found for kitchen utensils.
    I use an ice cream scoop to portion out large chocolate chip cookies. That way all the cookies are about the same size, and there aren't fights over the bigger cookies.

Logan, Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Along the same lines as what Mart and MG were saying above: there is a kitchen tool— the pizza cutter wheel, which I use in beekeeping ... I use this wheel to cut wax foundation to size to fit into frames. The frames with wax foundation go into my bee hives for the bees to build their cells upon. I have not found any tool that works better for this job.

My Bride has a long- handled wooden stirring spoon that she uses to reach across the breakfast bar and depress the light switch. This way she does not have to walk around the brekkie bar leaving the cooking area.

She lays a sheet of paper towel as a spatter guard to cover frying sausages in a small frying pan. It keeps the stove cleaner and should one explode, protects the cook. Ok, it isn’t a tool, but it is in the kitchen and we couldn’t do without it. I even use the cardboard tubes to cover leeks with in the lottie.

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Chop sticks are great for putting single seeds into growing cells. Drop a seed on top of the damp soil, poke it in, and there you have it! I even have one chopstick with measurements marked at 1/8" and 1/4" .
    If you have a marrow spoon, made to remove marrow from bones, it makes a great lifter for seedlings that are moving to a larger container. We do not use that spoon in the kitchen :eek:.

13. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

All good ideas here.

Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  14. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

I use all these things, Kenwood chef machine that's got 3 attachment that mixes things that i use a lot. A food processor also i use a lot when I don't need the Kenwood chef.
    1 spatula 3 different sizes of wooden spoons, different sizes of knives 2 serving spoons one with holes in so that i can drain foods, measuring spoons,3 different sizes of seives,2 different sizes of measuring jugs that's made of pyrex, a grapefruit cutting knife that's got a bend in it to go around the edge of the grapefruit, a grater and 2 manual juicers, a hand held electric whisk. In the kitchen drawer I've got a set of cutlery just to use in the kitchen and a separate set for eating with,1 pair of kitchen sissers that i keep using for cutting cereal boxes so they're not sharp enough to cut anything else and a pressure cooker that i use 4 times a week for cooking veg, making preserves and cooking Christmas puddings.
    I've got 3 freezers, one upright freezer in the kitchen and 2 chest freezers upstairs to store all the fruit that i grow and a ice scraper when defrosting the freezers.
    Also a bread board,3 cutting boards for different things and a pastry board, a rolling pin.
    Haven't got anything that i don't use.

marlingardener likes this.