Kiwi plans, need input and ideas

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by fish_4_all, Sep 4, 2013.

1. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Here is my plan:
    Find a variety of cold climate Kiwi, maybe 4 varieties, large, small, grape; the more variety the better.
    Build 3 planters 4' x 4' and 4 feet deep.
    Bury the planters up to 2 feet on the ground. 2 planters at the ends of an intricate trellis system that goes between the 2 of the them, maybe 10-25 feet apart.
    3rd planter will be planted either directly under the middle or offset to the side but still in the middle of the main trellis.
    The ends will have the female plants, up to 4 different species with 1 of each in each end planter.
    The middle will have the male plants, 2-5 varieties to make sure that there is a male bloom going on for as long as possible to match the compatible female plants and get best possible fertilization.

Now here are my questions:
    How many plants can I put each planter? More than 4 being it is so big? Maybe make it 3x3x3 and still get 4 plants in each?
    Do I need to bury them to protect the kiwi stalks or can I mulch and wrap them safely in my mild winter climate.
    Anyone have suggestions as to which plants to get?
    I am thinking:
    Arguta Jumbo, Annanasnaja, Cordifolia and Dumbarton to find which does better here and if they all survive I will have lots o picking for a couple months.

2. Loading...

3. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I was also looking at A. arguta 'Issai'. I know there was a thread before about it but I can't find it. I remember that they aren't great producers but if I have 8 of them I would think that I would get at least a couple gallons of fruit in a season, a lot more when they are 5-6 years old. Would eliminate the need for male plants although I would not have the variety I really want.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Isn`t Kiwi a vining plant ? What are you going to do with that many kiwi fruit? They are cheap at the grocery store,,just wondered if there is something you make out of them. Jams, preserves ?
    If its a 4X4 planter, that means each plant would only have 1 sq. foot of room if you plant 4 in each one. Have you checked on what kind of root system they have and what the recommendation is for space ?

5. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I don't think we will have a problem eating most of them unless I do everything right and get a bumper crop. Preserves would be soooo good though so I may have to make some. I can only imagine putting them on ice cream and jello. I think this year we have eaten somewhere around 4-500 of the large store ones so a couple thousand smaller ones shouldn't be a problem. Especially since we do't have to peel them.

Yes they are a vining plant, the 2 planters will be at the ends of a very large trellises. I have found information about spacing but the two companies I called said the spacing is for room for the vines to roam, not for root needs. I can not find anything on root space needs or should say I have not yet. everything recommends from 5-20 feet between female plants but don't say why, most of them don't anyway.

Maybe 8 plants will be way too many, but if I start with 4 varieties and have too many because they all thrive it will be better than getting 2 varieties and having them not survive at all.

Oh and I believe it would be 2 sq feet per plant. :)

Neither company I called said my idea wouldn't work. Then again when you tell a company you are thinking of buying 8 female plants and 4 male plants it could be a well do what you want so we can make money. A $180-$400+ order sometimes blinds those that should know better.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Did not see depth there ! That sounds awfully expensive for kiwi plants. Are those prices comparable to others?

7. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

3-4 feet deep in first post, honest, and I didn't edit it. Makes me feel better though mart, I have had so much trouble putting things into words lately it takes me 5 minutes to compose even a short post.

2 more companies I talked to said that the roots do need a lot of space. The spacing is all for the vines to spread out.

As for the price, the best I have found is dormant plants for $12.50 each so 12 plants would be $150 without shipping. Live plants in pots start at $21.50 and go up to $35 for a couple species and male plants. If you have a better price for live plants please let me know where.

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Have you checked Ebay ? I buy many things there. you can usually find anything you want there. Just have to check prices and shipping charges.