Ladies And Gentlemen, Let’s Mulch

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

So here we are, wading into fall and it is time to get mulching. After a busy day on the lottie, we are halfway finished with the winterising of the veggie quadrants. Here’s how that second quadrant went:

The quadrant with remaining veg and green manure.
    9AF429BB-8463-4E4F-9F48-2234D0D6F2DA.jpeg

Of course I could have left the Swiss chard for winter harvesting but I have so much frozen-in, I can miss it. So we took it all out, hoed the weeds and raked-in two bags of our compost. After that, we took out some mulch from last year (yeah, we really save mulch) and spread it down as the first layer.
    42A6FA3B-1323-4ED6-A33F-DD48EB8B9759.jpeg

It was a great basis, but another layer would be forthcoming.
    F7CD3249-B7B1-4959-A062-BCB542ED6C60.jpeg

That will do this bed this winter. Now to show you where it came from. Th knob is the stand where the ornamental grass was growing.
    3283193C-9061-41D5-980E-FAFF072F24D4.jpeg

All the grass on the bed came from this one root mound. We dug a moat around it to keep it from spreading. It is located at the end of the path between the flower and veg gardens. Now then here is a shot showing the two quadrants now mulched. Do you notice anything different on this foto?
    BD7E2E18-376B-4D85-8ABC-40CECD020ED0.jpeg

Well, in our little area of the complex we are surrounded by interesting and varied personalities. A number of weeks ago I showed some foto’s of the woman’s handy work—the painted glass on her greenhouse and her gourd pergola. Remember? She was growing the gourds in order to make lamps out of them. Well, the gourds have been harvested and are now hanging from the rafters of her garden shed.
    76CF9343-F750-40A5-9CB5-D9724ABB21D8.jpeg

She is also turning into a beaner. A beaner of noticeable proportions. Yes, her beginning is modest, but she has serious plans for expansion.
    0E3C7C30-0CED-43CC-B19A-0FD2415C67B5.jpeg

What she is doing is to build-up a collection of various been sorts. She will not eat any of the beans for the first years—just grow them, dry them and plant them the following year. I am impressed and hopeful for her, except that the beans are all grown outside and open to cross-pollination. Her idea is good, but her technique is not scientific. My fingers are crossed for her, but I am a wee bit skeptical. We shall see.

Frank, Zigs, marlingardener and 4 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Looks great Sjoerd
    Yes it's good to mulch, I collect a lot of leaves from up the road on the paths.

4. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

:smt023 What an interesting posting @Sjoerd. Yep, I did notice the difference in the photo. I have been using some composted grass for mulch - it all helps.
    I'll wager those beans will be fine :whistling: who needs science.

Logan likes this.
  5. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

Looking good @Sjoerd :)

I have some Bridgwater beans that I've been growing on for 10 years or so.

DSC00779 a.JPG

They don't cross pollenate easily, even when the bees visit them.

Sjoerd and Logan like this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cheers Loggie.
    Good that you have a leaf contact up the road from you. Very handy.

Tetters—I am glad that you found this posting interesting. I am really hoping for her that her beans will turn out true. Her enthusiasm is so good to see.
    BTW— What was the difference that you noticed? You are the only one so far to have noticed a difference.

Zigs—I do not recognise those Bridgewater beans. Perhaps we have another name for them here. I am very fond of beans myself as is my Bride. I may look into thee beans. We are already working on next years possibilities.

Zigs and Logan like this.
  7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Right,, beans do not cross pollinate as a rule ! What you plant is what you get !

Zigs, Sjoerd and Logan like this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I shall tell her your opinion Mart, she will be glad to hear that. I’m afraid that I made her feel a little unsure. Oh dear.

Logan likes this.
  9. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Well tell me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure someone moved all that grass behind the beds.... I can see the base of the trees now :confused:

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You are spot on, Tetters. It was reeds rather than grass.
    You see, it was growing on the side of a RR line. You can’t see it but there is a small canal there between my garden and the elevated train track.
    Anyway, congrats on spotting the difference. Actually it was easy to see wasn’t it?

Tetters likes this.
  11. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Yep, I'm fairly quick at easy things :headbang:

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

They are hard to get hold of, just had a google for them :(

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. Debkat

Debkat New Seed

Speaking of mulch, is it essential to shred fallen leaves first, or can they be used as is for mulching veggie beds over winter?

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Deb, I do both. Mostly I do not get them shredded.
    I use my leaves to make leaf mould, I use other things to protect my beds during the winter monts.

There are some folks that use leaves to mulch their beds on my allotment complex and on here. In our windy country, leaves blow right off the beds, they have to be held down if used for this purpose. So, if you have a way to keep them on their beds they would work fine.

Debkat and Tetters like this.
  15. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Not necessary, but helpful. I mulch because it radically changes the volume so each load I move is more efficient. I wet them because it starts the compost fast and they are less prone to blow, especially in mulched sizes.

Debkat likes this.
  16. Debkat

Debkat New Seed

Thanks for the insight, Sjoerd.

I was planning to shred the leaves first, but I think Dear Husband has already winterized the lawn mower. I don't have access to enough other cheap (free) material to cover everything, aside from maybe pine needles. Perhaps I'll try some of both.

Dirtmechanic likes this.