large 17'x17' great room.

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by CluelessBatchelor, Nov 7, 2012.

1. CluelessBatchelor

CluelessBatchelor New Seed

Hi all. I'm having trouble designing my great room. It's 17'x17'. The main problem, is that my parents live next door, and we still watch tv as a family at night. So, I don't have/need a tv in my house. That leaves this great big room for what? Entertaining? Throw a bunch of couches and stuff in the room? I could, but the walk ways make it strange. Bottom line, I just don't know what I want to do.

There is a wood stove in the lower left corner of the great room.

So, pretend as if it is your house. What would you do with this room?

Pool table? Pinball? Sweat-shop?

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi CluelessBatchelor, well I guess the most obvious question is: what are your interest / hobbies? :stew2:

4. CluelessBatchelor

CluelessBatchelor New Seed

I like outdoors, Martial arts, Languages, Computers, hiking, farming, carpentry, baking, adventure.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have no clue myself...unless like ours you turn it into a music room. One large grand piano, One large organ with the full pedal board, three large book cases filled to over flowing with music, music stands, a trombone, a clarinet and a couple of couches and a coffee table. Now I have a hobby set up in there and I still don't go in there and do anything with it. Gardening hands and card making just don't go hand in hand and I NEVER sit in there. I use the basement underneath there more than the room upstairs.

Honestly, Do nothing with it at this point. The more money you spend without knowing what YOU want will only frustrate you. The more "stuff" you have in there the longer it will take you to clean it and it doesn't sound like a "you" activity. And whatever you do don't try to please anyone else decorating this room "clueless bachelor" sounds as if there is no other person living there....so wait and observe what other people have that you like and write it down or take pictures and keep them all together until you see some pattern evolving. OR hire an interior decorator to give you some idea and go see what they have done before before you hire them.

Frank and Henry Johnson like this.