Large Vining Beans

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Henry Johnson, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Howdy, FOLKS;
    Remember this post I made in Dec.'06:
    Some of you graciously tried to help me with this ID, but I didn't give you enough evidence to work with. But now I think maybe I've learned to use the camera some what so check the following images to see if you can identify this plant. I put a couple of scales in the picture to give better size perspective.. Thanks, Hank
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    P.S. After looking at the preview I note a couple of things to add; the color difference between the photos is the result of me playing with the 'brightness' and 'contrast' in my software. And I'm surprised by the size, I thought that I picked the correct label at photobucked. Hank

2. Loading...

3. CourtneyG

CourtneyG Seedling

looks like purple hull peas to me :)

4. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Purple hull peas are more of a pea shape, not a bean shape. Did you grow these as edibles Henry, or ornamentals? If it is an edible they look more like red beans.

5. katsback

katsback In Flower

the pods are as big as my wisteria pods,but the beans darker,no,i think yours are bigger,lol...need a nap.

Advertisement
  6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

They for sure are not Purple Hull peas but I do not know what they are

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm thinking we would have a much better chance of ID'ing the plant if we could see a picture of the plant itself. There are 100's of plants that put out bean pods that it is hard to ID one from that.

Can you post a plant picture, Hank?

8. GardenFanantic

GardenFanantic Seedling

I have honey locust and black locust trees with this type of seed pods but I also think pics of the plant and leaves would help more.

9. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Hi, all;
    Toni asked:
    Other folks also suggested a picture of the plant. I've got the tepee ready for this year's planting so in about 2 months I'll take some pics and post them. Meanwhile, thanks for looking and trying to help. Hank

10. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Hi, again,
    Here are some pics of my TEEPEE BEANS as they look coming up and just getting started. I took these pics today, 19MAY07.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have my hand in the two bottom pics for size comparison, my hand is a bit large, even large size gloves (of the cheapo variety) are snug on it; so, hopefully you can see that these beans are super-size right from the git-go.
    I've still not found a name for these beans; so I'll keep posting pictures as they grow and sooner or later someone will recognize them. I hope....
    Hank

11. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Howdy ALL;
    Yep, I'm back with some more pictures of my beans.. Still trying to get an ID on them... May I ask you to refer to the earlier pics and pay close attention to the size of these beans (note the rulers/scales that I included in those pictures); also, note these words, 'the individual beans look almost exactly like Kidney Beans except they are 3+ times the size of a regular Kidney Bean..
    The first picture is of the TEEPEE as it looks on 16JUL07..
    [​IMG]
    The second and subsequent pictures are of the flowers as they are just beginning to blossom..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm disappointed with my camera or my operation of it because the flowers are difficult to see partly because (to me) they seem to be just a bit out-of-focus.. The colour seems true though, they're pale pink, last year they were more blue but I think that colour shift is due to lack of nutrients.. I've been a bit lax about tending to them and they needed some food and TLC :oops: which I gave them on the same day that I did the most recent photographs..
    Hank :rolleyes: