Last Harvest for Community Garden Potluck

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Cayuga Morning, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks for that tip.
    Filling the cpp's with your own veggies made the idea even more attractive, I think.

2. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Such a kind heart you have. But I know it was exciting to have people in your home and garden. Now for the recipe pls...

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

@hummerbum I took short cuts:. I used pre-roasted chickens from the supermarket, salt free boxed broth in which I boiled the chicken bones to make a really rich chicken broth. I use the pie crust recipe from the Joy of Cooking (the flour paste one). I saute the root veggies first (leeks, carrots, parsnips, onions, garlic) then add the peas, etc, some of the broth and thicken it with corn starch in the pan with all the veggies. Season it with whatever herbs you like, salt pepper, thyme, sage, etc.. Be careful not to overcook the veggies. I put A LOT of chicken in the pie crust (already in the pie pan of course), add the veggies in their broth sauce, and put the top crust on top. Bake @450 for 10 min then lower to 350 for the remainder of the hour. A deep dish pie will obviously take longer. It is really just the crust you are baking, everything else is essentially precooked. Enjoy!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    Sjoerd and hummerbum like this.
  4. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

thank you

Advertisement
  5. siamoli

siamoli New Seed

I am making a batch of homemade chicken pot pies, some regular, some glutin free. They will have onions xender discord omegle, garlic, leeks, carrots and swiss chard all from the garden. Oh and sage, parsley and thyme also from the garden. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019