Lawn aftercare

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by mbwest, May 29, 2006.

1. mbwest

mbwest Seedling

Fast approaching is the 10th of June which happens to be my birthday, the start of the world cup but most importantly 6 weeks after i sowed my lawn seed.

Once the grass is cut 1. do i have to continue to water it every day? 2. how high do i set the blades for a)first cut and b)normal cutting?

Basically my plan is after the first cut, weed and feed it once/twice a year and if the grass looks a bit shabby and it's very hot - water it. - Would this be ok?

Also any tips on a good £50/60 mower would be great!

MB

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Kazzawazza
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Movieman
      Replies:
      Views:

3. NewAttitude

NewAttitude Seedling

Looks like it's been a while since you've asked this question, but maybe other people will have the same problem :)

I found this advice at yardcare.com
    "Mowing: Begin mowing newly seeded, sprigged and plugged lawns after the grass has grown to a height of three or 4 inches. Cutting is best done with a reel-type mower because it is less likely to uproot seedlings and plants with the powerful vacuum action of today's mulching mowers. If you don't have a reel mower, use a rotary mower with the throttle set low. In your first mowing, just remove enough to give your lawn an even appearance (1/2 to 3/4 inches). Next time, cut to the maximum height recommended for your grass variety but not more than 30 percent of the leaf in any single mowing.

Do not mow a sodded lawn for at least 10 days after installation and until the grass has begun to grow. Once again, if you are using a rotary mower set the throttle low to avoid lifting and chopping up pieces of sod. Once established, regular mowing will encourage lateral spreading of sprigs and plugs."
    http://www.yardcare.com/expertadvice/bu ... ngfor.html