Lawn full of dandelions >_<

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by TheBip, Apr 3, 2007.

1. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

And of course, our lawn would be the first (and only, apparently) to get dandelions! It looks awful :-x Can anybody recommend anything to kill em (but not kill everything else)?

Last year mom used a weed killer that killed the surrounding grass as well :eek:

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Kazzawazza
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Movieman
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Believe or not the answer may be as simple as this Bip
    Spray weeds with vinegar

Also try pouring boiling water over them, this will take affect after about 2 days.

But I suppose ultimately the best way to control weeds of any sort is to have a high quality soil. So if there is anything you can do to improve your soil you are well on your way to less weeds.

Hope this helps ;)

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

There are lots of garden centres who will advise you to use salt (sodium Chloride) on dandelions Jen. Now, although this does work well for the first year the following year they'll be back even stronger so beware.
    Try something like 'Weed and feed' on your lawn. This way it will kill off the weeds but keep your grass healthy.

5. bailey

bailey Seedling

I agree with Eileen. Try the weed and feed.

Advertisement
  6. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Thanks! I think Ill try vinegar, boiling water -and- weed and feed! :D
    We have a --lot-- of dandelions....

7. bailey

bailey Seedling

good luck with the eradication!:O

8. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I have never worried about dandelions. The boys picked them when they were little. They picked the puff balls and spread the seeds. They liked seeing them float away when they blew on them. We made chains from the stems and had contests for the longest chain. They were going to grow anyway so we enjoyed them. Dooley

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I use a small spade to pluck them out in the backyard when they come up in the flower beds. At present our front yard is covered with Henbit and Clover so no sprays for me.

When we first bought this house our across the alley neighbor had a beautiful weedfree yard because every evening he was out there on his hands and knees with a bottle of weed killer and a package of Q-tips treating each individual weed leaf. :eek: That always struck me as overly obsessive about weeds.

10. bailey

bailey Seedling

Dooley when I was a kid I did the same thing with the dandelion puffs! Thanks for the nice memories!
    Toni I had to give a little giggle, your neighbor must have looked comical on his hands and knees with spray bottle in hand!:D hehe

11. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Our neighbors are a little obsessive too. They mow their lawn 1000 times a year o_O (ok, Im exagerating, but they do mow a lot). Our lawn is greener than theirs :D

But it looks bad when your house is the only one in the entire neighborhood with dandelions :eek:

12. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

The thing to do with dandelions is to learn how to make dandelion wine. It is a fine thing indeed. After you bottle it up, you offer a bottle or two to the neighbors. They will soon after be requesting tips on how to properly grow dandelions. Works every time.
    dr

13. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

oh dear, you got me Googling Dandelion Wine :D Got two recipes for it ;)

14. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

The first I remember of dandelion wine was from a church picnic. We had an old preacher who made a good supply of dandelion wine every spring. He brought some bottles to the picnic for all to sample. We had a baseball game going and it seems the preacher sampled rather more of his product than was wise. He was running for a base and decided he had to slide to make it. The game was held in a pasture where cows sometimes were held. The preacher slid for what he thought was a base but was instead a rather nice cow pie. His aim was quite good and he slid into it quite nicely thus breaking up the game and making quite a mess of himself. Ahh, the good old days!
    dr

15. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Awwwwwww DR it's the way you tell 'em. That little story had me cracking up!!! :D :D :D

16. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Sliding into a cowpat base, now that I would like to see. Of course it's hilarity would be in direct correlation to the freshness of the cowpat :)