Lawn full of dandelions >_<

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by TheBip, Apr 3, 2007.

1. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

WE used to play football in Dairy pastures so yes I can relate dr. We have dandelions Jen but I just cut them with the rest of the weeds we call our yard. LOL

2. bethie

bethie Young Pine

I understand your concern when you live in a "hood" with other lawns. Vinegar does work nicely. Here in rural USA we welcome the dandelions of spring. The bees and butterflies love them. In really good years I make dandelion jelly. This tastes like a light honey. The greens are also good in salads and my cockatiel eats them. We have flowering weeds of every description here, without them I think my yard would be mostly bare. 8)

3. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Well, I tried the vinegar. Problem is, now theres spots in the lawm where the grass died, but the dandelions didnt!

*whimpers*

4. PinkSun

PinkSun Seedling

My mom uses a fertilizer that doesn't kill the surrounding grass just the dandelions...would you like me to get the brand name for you?

Advertisement
  5. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Sure PinkSun, thanks ^_^

6. PinkSun

PinkSun Seedling

The brand of the fertilizer is: IScott's Turfbuilder
    They have a bunch of different lawn fertilizers but one has a weed killer mixed in with the fertilizer...hope that helps!

7. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I just pop them out of the ground with an old kitchen knife - but that's when the dandelion population is manageable. My neighbor has let her half-acre go to almost solid dandelions (or that's what it looks like) and I'm sure the one-at-a-time weeding like that would be far too labor intensive for an invasion of that magnitude.

I've used boiling water to get rid of weeds that come up in cracks in sidewalk/patio before, works great, but if you have large areas you can only boil so much water and tote so much of it out there... weed and feed sounds like a good idea, and the vinegar in a spritzer bottle. You can also do a vinegar and lemon-juice combo. (edited to add - I see you did the vinegar! Yeah, I had the same thing when I did that on a lawn, so I only use it on areas where I want to kill everything, like armies of weed-seedlings in my mulch in the spring.)