Lawn is Slightly Out of Control...

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by brittlillian, May 22, 2013.

1. brittlillian

brittlillian New Seed

Hello Everyone!

I just recently moved into a new home, the backyard is fairly large and has some mysterious things growing here and there. There is also a few spots where there is no grass. Not to mention there are way too many weeds! I am not a huge fan of using chemicals. So I am wondering what are my best options for getting rid of these weeds in a more natural way? I heard of using a form of vinegar mixture but I'm not 100% sure about it, I'm worried it will kill my grass. Also, what are my best options for fixing the missing grass spots?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Kazzawazza
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Movieman
      Replies:
      Views:

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Britt....
    Too much grass... no grass... weeds. Welcome to backyard fun! :-D
    Vinegar (20% acidity with salt added) is great for weeds... but will also kill your grass.
    The best way to get weeds out of your lawn is to have a HEALTHY lawn. The poorer your lawn... the more the weeds will thrive.
    Keep in mind that I'm waaaaaay down here in SE Texas and don't know a thing about your growing conditions. But I'd look into feeding your lawn first and then, depending on the weeds, try some of that "feed & weed" stuff.
    Now.. for that missing grass... my first thought is to try to figure out why the grass died. How do you do that? I have no clue! :-D
    Maybe the previous owners had pets? Or had a playset? Or is it some kind of disease?
    If it were me... I'd probably just put a flower pot there and call it a day! :-D
    Or you can try to replant it or add another patch of sod.
    I'm sure someone with some better advice from your area will be along shortly to give you some "real" advice.

Frank likes this.
  4. brittlillian

brittlillian New Seed

Haha thank you for your reply :) I will definitely give your suggestions a try! The previous owners did have dogs so that explains the patches.

Hopefully I am not sounding too silly by asking for a natural way of getting rid of weeds. I just don't want chemicals on my vegetables :p I guess I can work around that.

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Britt... We all learn a little something from every question here... no matter if it seems silly or not.... when it comes to our gardens/lawns... it's serious business (well... most of the time) :D
    And I try all sorts of natural ways to deal with weeds and insects, but sometimes you just have to go with a chemical.
    Please let us know how your lawn shapes up.

6. sgmgarden

sgmgarden In Flower

If you do not want to use chemicals, there are some organic methods you can use. Hot boiling water is a good thing to use. The heat of the water, when poured on the weeds, causes them to shrivel up. Also, vinegar can be used, as mentioned above, but be careful.