Lawn moles help controling or???

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by Dave, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Dave

Dave New Seed

I have a New home at the lake and like my neighbors have a large mole problem. I understand that moles can be a good thing but can you have to much of a good thing? We have mole tunnels and entrances every ware and when walking across the lawn its not uncommon to fall into a tunnel two or 3 or even 6 times. One neighbor has been spraying now for 2 years to kill the grubs but still has many mole tunnels. I have no clue where to start how to start or even if I should try anything and learn to live with them. I can put in some patios and walk ways yet and make the said property more appealing. What to do for flower beads etc and even what flowers to plant that will not make the problem worse is unknown.Any advise of help with this problem would be helpful.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Ronni
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Frank
      Replies:
      Views:

3. starface000

starface000 Seedling

It seems that some web sites have tips that involve killing the moles with weapons. That seems pretty awful, do you have an outdoor cat? That's more natural and it will actually go after the weaker moles instead of killing them all. I hope you get your problem sorted out and I hope the little moles don't have to die in the process. Good luck.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We used to have a mole problem in our garden here in Scotland. They use the tunnels underground as their pathways to new parts of the garden to dig for food. If you dig into the tunnels and then keep working the soil the moles will, eventually, give up and move elsewhere. They don't like their network of tunnels to be disturbed so if they're collapsed they tend to get tired of having to dig new, or repair old, ones time and time again.
    Good luck.

5. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Put something stinky in the holes......Like bleach water ?/

Advertisement
  6. Dave

Dave New Seed

What portion of bleach to water and have you had any success with this method?

7. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

My son had a problem with them in New York and he put used kitty litter down the holes and they left. Do you have a cat? dooley

8. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Not sure it was a success, but they were ruining my red rock display over nite with dirt.

I pour in on hole and they dig another.

Say couple teaspoons to a quart of water.

9. kats_gardens

kats_gardens New Seed

I have tries chili powder down the holes, bleach water down the holes, stomping the trails down every day, partially buried glass soda/beer bottles-the wind across the tops of the bottles is supposed to make noise to send the moles away, nothing I've tried works.

To protect bulbs and new garden beds, I dig the area and bury a wire screen about 18 inches deep. the screen makes a cage up to ground level which seems to protect roots and bulbs from damage. In established beds, I protect what seems to attract them, my tulip bulbs mostly in buried plastic pots. My yard sure would like being mole free, but I don't think there is a way to really get rid of them, especially if you have a bigger property.

10. Dave

Dave New Seed

Moles

It is not just my property they have taken over the neighbors property also. They are across the road. We have dug holes for foundations and pored concrete they just came back. I stomp the hills down and fall in the holes when I walk through the lawn. we have even pored concrete drives and walks and they still tunnel under. I'm at a loss for what to do with them. My Neighbor sprays for the grubs each month but still has moles. we were told remove the food and the moles will leave. I have tried using a dry material through a fertilizer spreader but it did not seem to make any difference and was expensive. I'm willing to try most any thing as these guys can destroy a lawn in 2 days. I have installed drainage and dry wells to remove water from the ground even with all the digging we still have moles. I'm ready to find something that kills the moles and the grubs in one step. I don't see any point in letting the moles rule and be in control any longer. I saw an adapter that hooks to the exhaust of a car or truck and then stuck in the mole hole. Don't know if it works or not. If any one has any experience with this I would like to hear if it had any results or if it is like every thing else just a way for someone else to make money.

11. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Just remembered .
    Somewhere I read Castor Bean plant drives them out .

Plant castor bean an see..

I have to find some.. Any one have any?

12. starface000

starface000 Seedling

I wonder what natural predator in your area is dying or being driven out. What kind of community do you live in, Dave?

13. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Dave lives in a great community..
    Ps Dave gather up all the moles and send them to his new york apartment.

lol

14. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I go to our local feed and seed store and buy mole poison.I keep the lids to my vegetable tins when I find a run I open it and put poison in the hole and
    then place one of the lids over it and put somthing on top to mark it.Next day check the hole if it has been worked in (fresh dirt in the hole).You have a dead underground mole.I get rid of them this way.I will be doing it again after I get home from Montana.

15. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Thanks glenda .

Have to hunt the stuff..

b

16. Dave

Dave New Seed

Thank you Glenda

Thanks I do have a feed and seed store close and I will check with them next week and see what they offer. As for where I live I live in a nice home in a small town. I service my community and do volunteer work for the council on aging. But fail to see what all of this has to do with wanting the large mole problem out of my yard. I'm sick and tired of falling in their holes and twisting my ankle. The digging looks awful and I'm quite sure most people with this large of a problem would feel like I do and want the dreadful things out of their lawns. If that is not the case then I will be happy to share them with any one who wants them.