Lead and Cadmium found in Chocolate

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Dirtmechanic, Dec 16, 2022.

1. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
    Pacnorwest likes this.
  2. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

These chocolate brands are all unknown to me. Reading this kind of article is always quite alarming though. I think the important factor is the way we garden and so often disrespect the soil we have with so many chemicals.
    This is a common problem, and the love of money is at least partly to blame. We could learn from it that gardening organically is so worth doing.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  3. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Well @$¿&$¡ !

Dirtmechanic likes this.
  4. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Yeah. I have a door shelf in the freezer full myself.

Advertisement
  5. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Yes. How did that lead and cadmium get into the soil on the chocolate farms? Fertilizer and pesticide residues? Smoke from leaded gasoline, old lead paint? Toxic waste disposal? I wonder what it does to the farm workers, too...

This week, I was helping clean out the apartment of my deceased friend. A plastic bag of ashes was found - apparently, my friend's aunt. I had a fleeting - very fleeting - thought about adding them to my garden. Bone ash contains calcium and phosphorus, which are deficient in my soil. Then I thought, somewhere I read human ashes are high in mercury, from dental work. I also wondered if that was a respectful thing to do, anyway. I don't know what they did with the ashes. I'm guessing, landfill. Anyway, I think I would have been reminded always of this person who I never knew, now in my garden.

Plus, if they ate a lot of chocolate, would the ashes contain lead and cadmium?

I try to respect and nurture the soil.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Reminds me of other toxic materials many are totally unaware when there is no other choice than joint replacement surgery due to severely damaged joints, or also a serious issue with teeth implants. After three hip joint replacements twice on one hip and once on the other. There are high levels of chromium and cobalt in my blood . I have experienced serious side effects from hip implant components. Have heavy metal tests done yearly. Once these heavy metals are in the body there is no way to remove the toxic materials.
    I have experienced metalliosis from hip replacements which is metal poisoning and a list of complications to long to list. The primary components were removed and replaced with ceramic. Metalliosis is a risk in many other metal implants. These devices are made from a blend of several metals, including chromium, cobalt, nickel, titanium and molybdenum. Even though these implant components are made for replacing badly damaged joints we would all like to trust the CDC that approves these devices designed from manufactures and our surgeons who use these devises. However in many cases revisions are done to removes the toxic components and replaced with ceramic or other non-toxic materials.,

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Wow, Pacnor, So sorry you've had to go through this. I wonder how common a problem it is.

The news about heavy metals in dark chocolate is news to me. I didn't know. And I love dark chocolate. Trader Joe's is my favorite. Make that 'was'. Out they go!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
    Pacnorwest likes this.
  8. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Such a terrible thing to go through. I hope the best for you @Pacnorwest .

Pacnorwest likes this.
  9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Thank you .. doing great.

10. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Now there's a lawsuit against Trader Joes for their cadmium-flavored chocolate.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...ead-and-cadmium-in-dark-chocolate/ar-AA163iFG

It's disappointing. Trader Joes is a long journey through a major traffic plagued area for me, and a special, rare, trip. Their chocolate was one of my main motivations.

I wish someone would invent chocolate that grows here. Maybe as an annual, like tomatoes...

11. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Shame on Trader Joe’s the law suit asknowledges that they knew there were toxic materials in their chocolate.