Learn to love eating fish

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by cajuncappy, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

@mart All kinds of seafood are expensive in the UK Mart. This stems largely from fishing quotas imposed by the EU. This is to prevent over fishing of individual fish stocks which I would agree with. BUT, the downside is that if fish are netted that do not meet the specified size or are outside of the quota, they have to be thrown back, dead or alive. And mostly dead which to me is a disgusting waste of good food. We are leaving the EU and hopefully we can determine our own fishing rules.

As a kid many years ago ;-) fish was cheap and a good alternative to more expensive red meat. That situation has now reversed.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. kate

kate In Flower

I bought fish today > I eat fish often.
    The reason is, I have never seen an Eskimo with Arthritis........:smt043:smt043
    K

3. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@ Raddang - Never knew the EU imposed fishing rules. As I'm thinking if my days of studying geography serve some of the EU countries are landlocked and/or wouldn't be fishing North Coast so to speak so it is interesting to me that they would have a say as to how you in the UK fished.

I also think it is abhorrent to be throwing back dead fish. I don't know if other fish or creatures eat dead fish or if dead fish just rot away polluting the water but either way even if they were kept for dog or cat food at least they didn't die for nothing.

cajuncappy and Philip Nulty like this.
  4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

How I wished we had something like that in our area (wished we had a drooling smiley now)! I did find a good sell on frozen shrimp so we'll be enjoying a few meals from them.

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  5. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

6. mart

mart Strong Ash

My personal opinion is that leaving the EU is/was a smart thing to do. I hope you can now decide for yourself what is best for your country. Including the fishing regulations.
    Yes the dead fish will eaten by something even if it rots,,but its still a waste from a human standpoint.

7. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

@mart I know we don't talk politics here Mart but I was for leaving and am confident that in a few years after the whole process of leaving is completed, Britain will become GREAT Britain again, relieved of the shackles of the Gnomes of Brussels. But I will say no more on the subject, Politics and all that. ;)

Islandlife likes this.