Learning to mow a different way.....Zero turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by Sherry8, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I have used a lawn tractor for over 15 years and I finally talked my husband into getting one of those zero turn driving mowers. I have watched my neighbor for years with one and you can make such nice turns without much room. I really enjoy mowing....in fact I would rather be doing that than housework. It is being delivered tonight so I will be nice and let my husband cut with it the first time... :-D anyone own one?

moderator's note: moved topic to more appropriate forum

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

We have one and hubby loves it!

4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

By the smile on my husbands face I am pretty sure he is enjoying it....it is really humid and he doesn't seem to mind.

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Your new mower sounds like lots of fun. :D Our sorry excuse for a lawn is too small for one of those, and it gets smaller every year. Can't think why. :rolleyes:

Advertisement
  6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

They even have an attachment you put on your hose that you connect to the blade area after every cut so you don't have a build up of grass. We didn't even know it had that optiion. No more having to scrape the build up off from under it..

7. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Cub 54 Tank

We have one of those zero turns I believe its a commerical cub 54 tank, I look out the window and my hubby is just flying and turning that thing, If there was a tractor police he would get a ticket.He really likes it, It has helped him him a lot because we have so much to mow.

Margie

8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

margie12u...funny thing watching my husband last night and he didn't know I was looking and he almost ran over our bushes...I think they would of stopped him but he has to get used to it....I think I will be nervous and let him drive it out of the shed so I don't go through the thing....I always keep the dogs inside when mowing is done here.Neither one needs a haircut !

Ours is a Dixon.

9. herbmate

herbmate New Seed

I have a landscape maintenance company and used to sell zero turns. they definitely save you a lot of time. a word of caution for new users just take your time and get used to the steering. One thing I always do is if I see someone coming toward me I shut it off because it just takes a second to lose a foot. and believe me it has happened. On a little lighter note I remember I sold one to an older gentlemen who had no experience with one. I showed him how to use it. So he was raring to go. He got on it and started going pretty good, faster and faster. He had one of those nice light posts in his yard about 6' tall. well he started mowing towards it and got a little freaked out long story short he turned it into a 4" light pole.

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Our mowing season hasn't started here...a little hard with all the snow. I agree with turning it off when someone walks up to you and I will do the same for a critter. I know I will be nervous the first couple times I mow but I do love being outside and I have always done most of the mowing here.

11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

No zero-turn mower here, but I do most of the mowing on our lawn tractor with a mowing deck attached. When we first moved to the farm and I realized there was about three acres to mow (the rest is pasture and my husband does that with a tow-behind) I also realized our walk-behind bagging mower just wasn't going to do it (and neither was I!). I was terrified of the lawn tractor--thought I was going to break it, or mow down a tree, or put the thing through the front windows.
    I just am not up to learning a new mower, although zero-turn sure sounds nice!

12. sgmgarden

sgmgarden In Flower

Zero turn mowers are great and allow you to mow in some of the tightest corners and areas of your lawn with ease. They are easy to maintain and easy to use.

13. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

As much fun it was to mow with the zero turn, the Dixon was too dangerous for us. My husband got a bee under his glasses right by his eye and he lost control of it....so we traded it in on a regular lawn tractor that is much safer for us. I had had problems with it too going along the bushes and ended up going the opposite way...I didn't want someone or us getting hurt

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh, that is too bad. I love my dixon and have had it for over 15 years. We just put a new engine on it this past winter. The last one had 1100 hours on it. I have so much mowing to do and it really is the most time friendly mower I have ever used.

15. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Sherry8 I can see how those can be dangerous. I to would love to have one but see myself careening over the flower beds and just running amuck. Kind of like one of those comedies you see on TV with the guy with the out of control lawn mower. Running over everything in his path.
    I guess any riding lawn mower can be a hazard. One of our neighbors was out in his yard several years ago and was mowing along a steep 16ft drop off in his backyard.
    He accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake and he and the lawn mower went over the cliff. He ended up pretty hurt. Thank God the mower didn't land on him.
    I want to get a new self-propelled mower. The slight hills and I do not get along anymore. We have an old one that is wonderful to use. Just hang on and it pulls you around the yard.
    :D

16. lawnmowerwizard

lawnmowerwizard New Seed

I like 'em. In fact I was surprised to learn that you can get Zero turn push mowers too. Makes good sense when you think about it, it's awkward having to pivot about the rear wheels when you try and turn a normal mower through 180 degrees on the spot. Not a problem with these of course.