LEAST favorite plant

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Stephinalta, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I know of a plant that everyone will hate. Last year I found 5 of these plants in my yard. My first encounter, the moment I touched it, I hated it. Persicaria perfoliata is its Latin name, it has many aka's. Mile-a-minute weed is a popular aka.

After two aborted attempts to get a foothold here in the US, it gained a beach-head in New Jersey in the 1930's. it arrived in my yard last year after an 80 year journey via seeds in bird droppings. When you touch it, you will hate it too. The next time you see it you will rip it out. Unfortuitnatly your non-gardening neighbors probably will not. And no one weeds the woods.

Jerry

2. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I happen to like vines, but I got a kick out of the vehemence of those who don't!

My garden nemesis is ajuga. It is taking over our lawn. And of course, poison ivy.

3. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Nut grass, it drives me NUTS!!!!!

4. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

Oh my! I like so many of the "least favorites" here. I love roses, but will be pulling out about five bushes this year...for all the reasons listed, but I will save a few to savor and smell. Ahhhh... :( I really dislike wild plants that become invasive and take over wetlands and woods. That's about it I think. :(

Advertisement
  5. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

I don't like Periwinkle. It has pretty flowers, but spreads everywhere and is very hard to control. I also don't like Forsythia because it seems like everyone around here has at least one in their yard somewhere. Also those ornamental potato vines and pansies. They seem to be in every planter I see and are far over used. Anything that is not native, e.g. Broomsedge and Wisteria, that takes over and pushes out the native plants. There are a couple others, but I can't remember their names right now.

6. Cayuga Morning

Flowerfreak22, i do like periwinkle, but it is true that every year I am yanking it out of where it is trying to invade my perennial garden. Same thing with pachysandra. I actually find pachysandra harder to control and more back breaking to deal with. I have tried those plastic edge borders but it grows underneath them. And when you throw them on the compost pile, they are likely to simply root right there! Anybody else have trouble with pachysandra?

7. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

I used to have Pachysandra in my garden and like you it was taking over. I probably spent 2 weeks trying to pull up every bit. I found that it mats really well and if you can get under the mat you can pull it up masses at a time, roots and all. I did not get every root though and it has popped up a few times in which case I just pull it out, but I have not really had a problem since. I did, however, take a couple of pieces and put them in a pot where it can't spread everywhere.

8. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

has to be the sumac tree.

absolutely hate the way it spreads.

9. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Ah ha, Ive thought of another! Walnut trees! Stupid walnuts everywhere! :scheming: Have to pick em out when raking leaves for the compost, hardly anythign grows under them, stepping on em hurts even with shoes on...ugh!

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have more than one....Mile a minute weed, yucca- I hate those serrated edges, bitter cress, ajuga, alberta spruce, walnut trees, ash tree seeds- they hurt when you step on them and clog the gutters in the fall, bind weed, dodder, bedstraw, wild grapes, green briar...just to name a few of the worst.

11. Cayuga Morning

Walnut trees can be very lucrative. If your trees are big and if you wish to harvest them, they are a very good cash crop. Or so I have been told.

12. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

We only have 1 walnut in our yard, the others around are in neighbors yards. And ours is a spindly little thing. Id rather just get rid of it.

13. rockhound

rockhound In Flower

least favorite

I guess my current least favorite is morning glory vines. A few years ago at another property I had a bad situation with dodder, hard to get rid of.

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yes Rockhound, dodder is terrible, the information I found for it was, to remove, bag and send the whole plant to the landfill. I had it on ONE geranium in all my plants for sale a couple years ago. weird! If you have never experienced greenbriar....I hope you never have to. The plant is a vine that makes a very thick or dense growth in an area and the stems are covered in needle like thorns. HORRIBLE.

15. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Gardening would be a breeze if not for quack grass,Galinsoga(quick weed)& creeping Charlie.
    Doris