Less mowing equals more planting space

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by cherylad, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Very good looking results! Now you've got me thinking and planning...
    Hank

2. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Thanks Hank....
    and oh yeah... that big black planter has my blackberries in it. They will get to be planted on the other side of the fence this fall. So.... even more room for something. I've been trying to figure out what I'd like to put there. Nothing too big. But tall would be okay. And it would have to have lovely flowers all year long. I'm not asking too much, am I? :D

3. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Cherylad,I just love the way you simplified your mowing.I hate to see these homes with huge expanses of lawn & especially ones that have a lawncare out fit that does a lot of spraying.
    Your pictures are pretty.Everything is so green! I've finally got it through my head that Texas is a biig place & not all of it is desert dry.Your soil probably has more moisture now than ours here in the corn belt. We are (if I remember right)8 inches from being normal.It will take more than an inch or 2 of rain here & there to get back to normal.
    More plants,maybe some stepping stones & arbors & doodads!Yes! Such fun!
    sNs

4. Annette

Annette Seedling

looks great, cherylad,..i myself am trying to eliminate most of the grass on my property, not as large as yours, but that is a grand idea..the cardboard & mulch!

Advertisement
  5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Thank you SewNsow. The first time I ever "headed west" I was shocked to find out that parts of Texas was desert! I thought the whole state was swamp-land! And then I found out that North Texas actually had snow and ice! And "deep East Texas" actually had hills! Oh my! :eek:

Thank you Annette. It just hit me recently.... I'd better get a-hold on my workload... one day I'm going to be too old to do all that mowing and edging.
    And of course I learned about the cardboard and mulch trick here. Hooray for GardenStew!
    :smt023 :smt038