Let's Take Another Walk In My Gardens

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by waretrop, May 9, 2013.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Beautiful Barb. Everything looks so healthy. And weed-free to boot!

Thanks for the tour!

2. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Barb,..lovely start to your Hosta Garden,..lots of new shoots coming along,..and you sure have a lot of trees that are,.. contorquere contort,..they are out of this world.

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

[​IMG]
    Contorted Willow Tree

[​IMG]
    Contorted Willow Tree

[​IMG]
    Contorted Willow Tree

[​IMG]
    Contorted Willow Tree

Philip Nulty, I just happen to love them. I think they are really neat....Now being these trees got so big, it is planted in a bucket with holes in the bottom, in a larger bucket with holes in it. That is put into the ground. That way the roots won't go wild and we can raise it and cut the roots whenever we want....I also only let this tree grow to 5 foot tall. It's sort of a Bonsai. This Contorted Willow above is 25 years old. How about that.....

I start new plants with all the clippings and sell them when they are larger.

2ofus and donna in nc like this.
  4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Barb,..they look very fairy-like,..the contorted willow has seen a good few years of care and attention,..they are a credit to you.

Advertisement
  5. waretrop

Philip Nulty, the Contorted Willow Tree was given to me as a rooted in water shoot. I kept it in my greenhouse for probably 15 years before I let it go out to play in the garden. :D :D I keep many of my plants small as they get very large. Many people don't know that when they plant them. Then after they go wild they have to cut them down. That seems silly to me.

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

What was spelled wrong? I don't think I corrected anything, but if I did you are welcome to have the correct spelling of whatever it was. :rolleyes: I also gave you the wrong name. It is pulmonaria...not Plumbago. Sorry. [/quote]

7. waretrop

carolyn keiper, :D :D You crack me up....Yes you spelled Lenten differently than me so I looked it up and found that I did it wrong.I just fix your incorrect plant ID also.. :D :D :D

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Barb, as long as you can laugh at yourself you will have an endless supply of laughter...that would be me. So you can use me for laughter, too.

I didn't notice your spelling of the lenten Rose, either, but as I was looking for the picture of the hornworm cocoon in my garden I ran across a picture of my pulmonaria and I went Duh. I told you it was plumbago, which also has blue flowers, but it was the wrong plant in my dingy little brain that popped to my finger tips.

9. waretrop

Jerry, Here it is in bloom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]:eek:

Jerry, Why did you ask about this geranium? Ia it a special one?

Cayuga Morning and donna in nc like this.
  10. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Very very beautiful and serene!! Love your garden!

11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Barb, You have a spectacular front entrance and very very many unusual and pretty plants. I look forward to seeing pix of your gardens in the years ahead.

12. waretrop

Thank you for the kind words. Since we worked 80 hours a week for 27 years we really appreciate having a large piece of property and having time to play in it.

We love being here and we love our gardens and watching them grow. I must admit the first few years, I hated that it looked so sterile but now that it is growing in a little, it is wonderful.

I love seeing all your gardens and getting ideas from all of you and I thank you all for that.

13. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

barb everything is just beautiful my hats off to you now a ? did you build the tower by your weeping maple if do was it hard? I am trying to build one for my climbing vine

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a very lovely series of fotos. I especially enjoyed seeing your variety of dwarf hosta´s. I´ll bet that Droopy would like those.

Very good thread, this!

15. waretrop

Donna, :D :D We have had that for 18 years. It's a pyramid trellis and my husband ordered it. I always hated it. It has been near that Maple Tree for about 6 years and now that you mentioned it, I am going to move it. As soon as it stops raining after egg delivery this morning. :-D

It has a Variegated Porcelain Berry Vine growing on it but has never done well there. Since I never liked the duo, the plant has just gone on there looking dumb and not growing all this time.

Now my hubby planted the plant and trellis there and was soo proud that day. I didn't have the heart to tell him he needed to move it. So please, all of you fellow Stewers, don't tell what I have said. ;)