Let's talk food magazines

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Aug 31, 2011.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I let my subscription to Bon Apetit lapse because I got tired of seeing recipes that I would have to travel to get ingredients for (I don't mean go to the grocery, I mean leave the state and take a prolonged hike!). They also lost me with their $35 cloth napkins. That's not a set, that's each napkin.
    Are there any food magazines you enjoy and actually use recipes or tips from? Or are you put off with the cutesy, arty, impossible-to-replicate menus and recipes in some of these magazines?

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Jane, I found a mag called Clean Eating. It has practical, healthy recipes and I like the lay out of the mag. I've had taste of home for a long time, but the new format makes it "a pretty magazine to look at". nor do I try nearly as many of the recipes now as I used to.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

As a person who really doesn't like to cook, I have never bought a magazine aimed at cooking.

I have found some interesting and easy to make recipes in Mother Earth News, Herb Quarterly and Herb Companion. Also, Southern Living magazine have printed several over the years.

5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Marlingardener: I have been two magazines that have super recipes and helpful hints. One is from, Cooks Illustrated and the other is from "Cook's Country". If you combine the two words and put .com at the end it will take you to their website. I watch America's Test Kitchen show and had ordered their cook book. With it came a sub. to both magazines. I really like them.
    Cook's Illustrated contents for Sept.& Oct. mag I have is; Quick Tips,French-Style Pot-Roasted Pork, Weekend Roast Chicken, Light-as-air Potato Gnocchi, Better Beef Satay, Introducing Salt-Baked Potatoes, Great Butternut Squash soup, Tips for Improving Flavor, Really Good Lentil salads, Rescuing Vegetable Lasagna, Creamy chocolate Pudding, Great Cranberry-nut Muffins, The Last Cutting Board You'll Ever Need, The Truth about "Pizza Cheese", Kitchen Notes, and Equipment Corner.

Then "Cook's Country" mag. for Aug.-Sept. contents was; Slow-Cooker Stuffed Green Peppers-flavorful and not soggy, BBQ Country-Style Ribs-quick trick for even cooking, Low-Fat Potato Salad-no one will ever know, Quick Collard Greens-15mins to table, Shoestring Onions-fried and gone to heaven, Grilled Citrus chicken, Italian Cream Cake, Ketchup Taste Test, How to Grill Pork chops, Texas-Style Blueberry Cobbler and to many more to list. But I will definitely be trying that recipe. I love all the handy hints they have in each mag.

Carolyn: I to have a Taste of Home sub. But I won't be renewing mine either.

Advertisement
  6. Karrma

Karrma In Flower

I had a subscription to Cook's Illustrated, freebie with airline miles expiring, and liked it so much I have saved my copies. Good ideas on substitutions, fun reads on their experiments on actually making a recipe and testing the trials, and some excellent reviews on pans, etc, (sometimes the near cheapest was the best, did not look like they were paid to put in a good review) I did let it lapse, as I really don't have a lot of room for lots of magazines, but it was practical and not "fussy." I avoid Bon Appetite as it is too much work, not much fun.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Thank heavens there are still cooking magazines out there for those of us who cook!
    I'll look into the Cook's Country and Cook's Illustrated, and also the Clean Eating magazine.
    Thank y'all for the tips about down-to-earth, real-recipes-with-real-ingredients magazines.
    I love to cook and bake, and with your suggestions for magazines, I may get a whole new perspective on dishes!

8. Karrma

Karrma In Flower

I found out that Cook's Illustrated now has an online magazine, and can have access to the back 18 years or so. Just signed back up, it will be worth it to me. I do not think they take any advertisements, so their testing is unbiased except for their own cooking preferences.

9. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

OOOOh Karrma: I will have to check that out. I really love all the info and recipes they have to offer. Like you said. There are NO advertisements in either magazine. Which is so refreshing to not have a mag. that is half advertisements. Thanks for the heads up on their online mag. :-D

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Karrma, ditto on what Tooty said. I like to have a magazine in hand, but until my subscription starts, I'll be checking out their website and on-line magazine.