Lettuce and Basil in the system

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by halfway, Nov 5, 2010.

1. halfway

halfway Seedling

About 5 days after being transplanted into the homemade system and 10 days since germinations. 5 Simpson Black Elite lettuce and 1 of Lemmon basil. The whole grow area smells like lemmons!!!

[​IMG]

Frank and eileen like this.
  2. mart

mart Strong Ash

Quite pretty little seedlings !! Love that lemon scent !! I can almost smell it here in Texas !! Think I will try lemon basil this year !!

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Nice baby plants there. :D Is there a post where you are explaining about your germination technique? It looks very exciting.

4. halfway

halfway Seedling

Thank you. I haven't really posted anywhere alse but the welcome thread. I'll post some pictures soon. I am spending most of my time reading all the info on this site and the forums!!!

Advertisement
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

OO lemon basil is a favourite of mine!! I would love to see how your seedlings grow so hope you'll keep us posted with pics. :stew2:

6. halfway

halfway Seedling

I will post as they progress. They have grown another inch since posting this.

I notice I am getting around 82 degrees directly under the lights. I need to get some air moving so they don't bolt.

The basement should be ideal as it never really exceeds 67 degrees, but the floros are so close it is adding another 15 degrees.

eileen likes this.
  7. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

I've never planted lemon basil. I grow sweet basil and Mexican basil. But I'll be that lemon basil makes a fine pesto.

I'm also curious about your "home made" process. I think I'm seeing a plastic shoe box with holes cut in the lid. Do you have pots in the shoe box or just soil (or other planting medium) for your lettuce and basil?

Very clever.

8. halfway

halfway Seedling

The ebb and flow system is completely homemade and as cheaply as I could make it. I have a couple videos that I am using as a video journal to complement the written journal of the process.

It has been a great learning experience and I can tell you they have grown another inch plus already.

Can I post my blog on here? It is my online journal of this new method.

Here are the vids:

October 17, 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG8HkRmwyls

November 1st, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJn1dOB9UOs&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Frank and eileen like this.
  9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Great video Halfway!! :-D I much prefer to watch how things have been done by others rather than simply read lots of instructions. Can you tell us, roughly, how much your system cost to set up please?

10. halfway

halfway Seedling

About $120 with very little follow-on costs. It should last for years and the only expendable items are bulbs, nutrients, and the occasional airstone. A good estimate is about $40 a year or less.

Pretty cheap extension of the hobby with fresh greens and enjoyment as the benefit.

I'll post more video as I add to the journal.

11. halfway

halfway Seedling

I took this photo today, November 11th. These are now 16 days old and 10 days since transplanting from starter tray.

The lettuce is almost outside the rims of the pots and the basil is trying to grow through the lights when they are in position!!

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of the whole system. The lights are on locking pulleys and when in position are only 3-4 inches above the plants.

I have room for another identical system, or a "raft" system which would also work well for lettuce. The "raft" would only consist of the upper 28 quart container.

[​IMG]

12. halfway

halfway Seedling

I have posted the video journal as well as updated pictures on a blog I created to keep friends and relatives up on the progress. They are as intrigued (as am I) at the speed and vigor this is producing.

Feel free to post a question. I am continually learning, but really enjoying sharing that knowledge.

I may have to look at adding hydro to some out door container next spring for a real head to head test!!!

http://frugalhydroponics.blogspot.com/

13. halfway

halfway Seedling

This video journal entry shows the roots system and explains some nutrient aspects.

I can't wait to incorporate some hydro alongside the soil grown plants this year.

The yield on the lettuce has been crazy as well as the rate of growth. Too easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ObpoFxEPxU

14. halfway

halfway Seedling

I have built another system to expand our growing capabilities and to allow continuous lettuce production. Access to fresh greens has become very addictive!!

This type of system is the easiest to use and the easiest and cheapest to build. It is called a Deep Water Culture (DWC) and requires very little effort to achieve exceptional growth.

With my cheap shop lights, this will allow continuous lettuce production throughout the winter and also in the summer when temps outside get too high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxT8wceO03E

15. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

I am impressed. It looks very intriguing.
    And real benefits - Well done.