Light but useful reading.

Discussion in 'Books' started by eileen, Mar 13, 2005.

1. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

This book, priced at £6.99p is what I'm reading at the moment. Let me tell you something about it.

It's a very well written, light-hearted but informative little volume about natural gardening. It is sprinkled with amusing cartoon sketches - some of which are really entertaining. :D You'll also hear yourself mumbling ahh, good idea, why didn't I think of that or simply nodding and agreeing with the text. You'll want to rush out into the garden and try some of the recommended tips for yourself - just to see if they really DO work - I know I did!!! :oops:

The writer, Steve Brookes, has collected tips for this first book of his over the last thirty years and says: - "Some of the tips are common sense. some are amusing, and others seem, well, just so wacky that they couldn't possibly work, but they do."

One of the topics covered in this little gem is how to grow pink daffodils in spring with a simple jar of a certain salad vegetable!! Another - how to keep your wellies bug free. :rolleyes: How about 20 favourite trees for the smaller garden or 20 slug and snail proof perennials? Am I getting you curious about what else there is between it's covers? I certainly hope so as this book is one you'll not want to put down until you've read it all the way through. When you have you'll wonder how you ever survived without it.

This is the first book in a series of "The greatest gardening tips in the world" and I am certainly looking forward to the next one being published!!

I recommend this book to ALL gardeners, young or old, amateur or professionsal. Well worth spending money on. :)

Check out 'www.thegreatestgardentipsintheworld.com' to find out what Steve's next title in the series is going to be.
    [/i]

2. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Wow sounds great eileen! You sure do know how to make a book sound good :) And a photo and all 8)

By the way the web address you gave appears to be down :(

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Mmmm same here now as well - 'getting page cannot be displayed' - sorry about that. :(

It's a book I'm sure anyone would enjoy reading even if they're not into gardening so if you think it merits being put into the book store we could maybe begin a collection of his books as they're published. What do you think?